MB2700 Ink levels for color carts incorrect

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi folks,

This my third refill with the color carts, so far I did not encounter any issues.
Today, my Magenta came up with the refill message, so I removed the cart and refilled as usual. I use the genuine carts and this method to refill them.

I put the Magenta cart on the scale, it was 28 gr. so I refilled up to 40 gr.
However, the printer was giving me the B504 error on the Magenta cart.
So I refilled both C and Y because they also were empty.

Now, the printer prints but I get the following levels:

1638149551979.jpeg

The nozzle check seems OK so I have no clou why the printer behaves this way.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Alex

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Your obviously use ARC chips, so you must expect them to be a little bit off, but once your printer is working fine what does it matter, some of my cart ink levels show much the same as your, this can happen when the chip hasn’t reset yet..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Indeed, when you refill before the ARC's are empty, the indication is out of sync with the real ink level.

Big advantage of the Maxify is it only gives warnings when the chip shows empty (and doesn't force you to disable ink monitoring as with most Canon printers), and more important, it has an ink sensor in the printhead (as @Artur5 has investigated) to warn when the ink really is low (B504).

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
@Metallo Just for info, Once I had a B504 and could not clear it with the ARC chipped carts. I has a spare OEM which was empty so I put it in and started the printer again and then swapped it out for the refilled cart and all was well.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The error should not occur after a cartridge is topped up when the ARC does not show empty, there will be more ink than indicated.

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I do not know guys, but when the carts give you a warning message that they are empty, they weigh exactly 28 gr.
I filled in and reached 40 gr. with the Magenta. At that point, I got the B504.
The C and Y, had not given any message yet, but they were low, so I removed them, both 28 gr., and I just refilled as always.
Now, nozzle test is perfect and printing is fine, but I cannot understand why the M has an X , the Y shows as empty and the C shows full.
On a side note, when Magenta first gave its warning to be empty and it could no longer print, the Cyan was showing low level, like Y and M,
When I filled in the Magenta, the Cyan went up to maximum level, which is weird really.

Is it possible that the ARC are messing up for whatever reason and the only way to reset them is to temporarily put in a genuine cart (which I do not have) to reset them?
Is there any other way to reset them?

Thank you,
Alex

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Is there any other way to reset them?
My advice:- if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it, look at the bigger picture, your printer works fine regardless of what the ink level monitor is registering and you have plenty of ink in the carts, just don’t touch but keep monitoring if your still worried..;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
This morning I just got this on screen message from my Maxify, I had filled the magenta before it was declared empty last time, so this time I knew there was ink still in the cart.
Capture44.JPG click to enlarge

Once I opened the front panel the magenta cart moved into position and I removed it for a few seconds and then reinsert it again and the chip is now showing full once again..

The ARC chips are not great at showing the correct ink amounts but they work and that’s all that matters, the next ink cart that shows the red X, I will top up all of them at the same time.. The poor auld chips won’t know what the feck is going…

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The ARC chips are not great at showing the correct ink amounts
Would that be because you top them off before they are designated empty and before the ARC does its thing?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I always wait to top the cart until the chip is declared empty. Then after reinserting it, the chip shows full again. In theory, no mismatches between the actual ink inside the cart and the chip level on screen.
Well, this isn't the case anymore with the Magenta and Cyan chips of my current set of carts. Last time they were declared empty (red X) and reinserted, they didn't go back to full but to less than half of total capacity and have remained this way for weeks, if not months. I don't do much color printing with my Maxify but in all logic the ink levels reported by the M and C should have lowered by now.
As @The Hat says, probably these poor old chips become gaga after some time. :p

Last edited: