MB2350 Error B504

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
There is a big chance it is the cartridge.

Or buy an Original Canon or bite the bullet and go refilling.

If you still have an empty original cartridge (never throw them away ;)), the less onerous way in your situation (since you don't know if the printhead is still OK) IMO is buy a bottle of quality refill ink (precisioncolors.com or octopus-office.de) and a big syringe with a tip to insert in the cartridge as explained here:

https://www.octopus-office.de/info/...n/canon-pgi-1500-pgi-2500-refill-instruction/

In this situation you have to switch off ink monitoring, but this should be no problem in the short term.

Alessandro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5550
As I've stated some post above the black cartridge now installed is a new original Canon (half way now after all the printer cleaning processes).
When cleaning the printhead I've put some tape to cover the two holes in the cartridge (ink and air) and placed them in the fridge.
Can the cold temperature of the fridge damage the cartridge?
The other 3 works perfectly fine...

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Oops, didn't read well :oops:.

Unless you placed the cartridge in the deep freezer I don't think it can harm the ink.

The black nozzles do not look good. Stop cleaning and leave everything for a day, you never know.

From my own experience Canon pigment printers seldom or never clog, and in this case one or two cleaning instructions solve the problem. I never had to remove the printhead to clean.

Wit dye inks the reverse is true. That maybe mislead you.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I come back on this thread with my own experiences:

- error B504 is caused by the ink flow sensor seeing no ink in the head, this is not uncommon after changing a (3th party) cartridge and will disappear after restarting the printer (or replacing the non-performing cartridge)
- 3th party cartridges can suddenly drain a lot of ink (visible by stains on the prints and a pool of ink on the platen), in this case the cartridge can be empty despite the ink level indication, check this first
- incomplete or missing nozzle check patterns should be given some time: the printer initiates it's own cleaning
- in case this doesn't help do one or two regular cleanings
- if there is improvement wait until the next day - I have never removed a printhead of a Canon pigment printer for cleaning (IMO the Maxify printhead contains quite some ink, making it more difficult to prime afterwards)

Last edited:

yus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5350
Thank you so much for posting this, in particular the point about the 3rd party cartridges draining ink without it showing up on the level indication. I did used to get the blobs of ink on print outs v regularly

I signed up to let people know how I've managed to fix my error b504

I have a canon mb5350 that was coming up with the error and spitting out 2 blank sheets. All of my cartridges are 3rd party cartridges

Sometimes it gave me an error letting me know my cyan cartridge was empty so I replaced that first and still got the b504 error. So I googled on how to remove cartridges whilst the printer is switched off and I shook each cartridge to see If they were empty. The yellow and magenta were empty despite the printer showing them as half full.

Replaced both cartridges and it now works fine after a head clean. But it is still giving me small blobs of ink so hopefully that will sort itself out after a few print outs

Thanks all

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Shaking the cart can give you a rough idea but if you want to know exactly how much ink is left in the cartridge you need to use a digital scale.
An empty PGI-2500XL black Canon OEM cart weights 62 grams, while empty PGI-2500XL Cyan, magenta or Yellow Canon OEMs weight 47 grams each.
For third party compatibles, I expect similar figures, but the only way to know exactly is to weight it when you're sure that it's totally empty. Not easy without disassembling the cartridge.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the only way to know exactly is to weight it when you're sure that it's totally empty. Not easy without disassembling the cartridge.
No disassembly should be needed. When the printer requires you to change out the "empty" cartridge then weigh it and use that as your baseline. Of course it helps to know the weight of the cartridge when new and unused. ;)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, yes ..and no. :D
The printer requires to change a cart when it believes that it's empty by the chip report ( not very accurate) or when it detects no ink in the bottom chamber of the printhead. If the ink and the cart are OK. that's very accurate, but if there's no proper inkflow because of problems in that third party cart or the poor quality of the ink, then we don't know for sure whether if it's still some ink inside the cart or not.
I have no experience with third party Maxify cartridges but OEMs are already a bit tricky so I expect that compatibles wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
When refilling the OEM Maxify cartridge do you not first suck out the air in the cartridge before refilling with ink? Wouldn't residual ink be sucked out as well? An empty syringe could be used to do this and then the cartridge weighed for an "empty" weight. No disassembly required.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Maybe you're right but without knowing the internal design of that specific compatible cartridge it's hard to say. Some ink may remain at the bottom while you suck the air from the top.
Yes, I realize that we're splitting hairs here. Probably one or two ml. of ink won't matter much.

Why I'm discussing compatible Maxify carts if I never handled one ? :p

Last edited:

Latest posts