MB2350 Error B504

Alessandro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5550
Ok,
after I've cleaned the printhead and replaced with new cartridges I get ERROR B504.

I've read that this is usually caused by some completely empty cartridge, which I don't think is my case.

Also someone suggest to do a hard reset, but I don't now how to do this. How this is done?

Do you have any other suggestion?

Also I can't even use the printer as a scanner now, is there a way to unlock it to use it for that?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
My Maxify is still in the box, so I am just thinking with you.

The printer does an ink flow test after a cartridge change, if insufficient error B504.
It is meant to protect the printhead, but if the printer becomes unusable after this error anyway Canon could as good change the message into 'carry the printer to the dump'.

Maybe after cleaning the PH the ink flow needs some time.
Did you try to change the cartridges (for the same of coarse) again ?

I suppose you found videos about hard resetting, no experience.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Alessandro, the one thing that I don’t get is, why was there a need to clean the print head in the first place, and what cartridge were you using before you installed the next new set ? there’s more to this error B504 than meets the eye...

Alessandro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5550
Well, I've cleaned the printhead because I was getting a noozle check like the one below that no cleaning process was solving.

lE3sVSE.png

After replacing the yellow with an original Canon cartridge the B504 error is gone.

Now the situation is this:
Y Original Canon
M Original Canon
C Original Canon
B Non originale, but 100% full

Like I said I don't get the error anymore but I still get that shitty black you see above (also magenta has some ink missing lines)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Might be the compatible cart is the problem..

Canon site says...

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/content/faq/?itemid=tcm:14-1301945
https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/content/faq/?itemid=tcm:14-1301945

I see that you have replaced them but maybe there is still ink residue from a compatible that had not got good ink in it.

When I added the ARC cartidges to mine I could only get Magenta on all of the nozzle test pirnts for some time afterwards. I suspect it was air in the system, and after a few hours it printed perfectly.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Another possible thing you can check out is the timing strip, it may have picked up some dirt and is giving false readings, the compatible ink may also cause this kind of printout..

Alessandro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5550
I've replaced the black too, now there are all original canon cartridges.
I've also cleaned the strip bar, to me it seems quite clear now.
Here is a purge print
mMHkGbt.jpg

Is it possible that what I've marked in red is the nozzle length and some of it is still obstructed?
That would mean I need more printhead cleaning... I'm a bit scared of B504 now :rolleyes:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
......Is it possible that what I've marked in red is the nozzle length and some of it is still obstructed?
That would mean I need more printhead cleaning... I'm a bit scared of B504 now :rolleyes:
This is very likely. If the problem were caused by the line feed roller the coloured stripes would be affected in the same way.

Alessandro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5550
After two days of cleaning the print-head now the black is even worse than before... can it be a problem with the air port in the cartridge?

Note that I've have deleted colors from the image so I don't waste color cartridges that print perfectly

3B7M9Kp.jpg

Last edited: