Maxify vs MegaTank series

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
Hi All,

I have started to investigate a new printer. The options that I am focusing on are tank series from Epson and Canon, as well as Maxify. Epson and HP dominate local market (Brazil) and, thus, consumables, parts, assistance etc. are far more available than Canon. Epson has nice tank printers but charges a premium for them (L6191 model, equivalent to WF 2860). Heads seems to last more, but if they clog bad it is a kind of "throw the printer in the bin". HP tank printer are very few (617 model, equivale to 651 in the US).

I am looking for a duplex printer with ADF capabilities (simplex or duplex). In 2020 Canon launched locally the G7010 (G7020 in the US). It is a nice machine (350 pages, duplex, ADF etc.). Maxify 2710 and 5110 and Canon G7010 have similar prices. All have good paper trays, print a lot without having to refill, ADF (M5110 is duplex, while M2710 and G7010 are simplex). I will not use the printer for photo purposes, although G7010 seems to print photos better than M2710 and 5110, which is a plus. Anyway, because of the fading risk I have another pigment printer that I use for photos only. Heads for Maxifys are expensive and hard to find. Heads for the Megatank series are also expensive, but it is possible to buy the one that gives problem only, as they are widely available at approx. US$60.00 (each, as black and color heads are separated). Of course, the two heads have the cost of the single Maxify head...

M2710 and M5110 seem to be better build but it can be a matter of taste. I think they have more "style" and a better lcd. Duty cycle are 5,000 (G7010), M2710 (20,000) and M5110 (30,000) month. Huge plus for the sturdiness of the Maxify, but I am very far from 5,000 prints per month...

PCMag tested both and alleged that M2710 is 18.9 and G7010 is 12.7 ppm, respectively (word docs). Mixed office docs, M2710 was 8.9 and G7010 4.4 ppm. Advantage of the Maxify.

However, the availability of heads and easy refill of the tanks (instead of using chips, aftermarket carts and traditional refill mess - I have been refiling for the last 5-6 years) makes me think that the best option nowadays is the G7010. If I have a clog or a defective head I can always easily substitute the head. Inks are also easy to find.

Am I missing something in the analysis below that could change my mind? What are your thoughts?

I am not in a hurry to buy a new printer. Tks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Am I missing something in the analysis below that could change my mind? What are your thoughts?
Go buy a Maxify and all your troubles are over, but make sure you get the model that’s most suited to your needs, forget about the 5000 a month cycle, everybody else does..

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
What about the head availability? I can buy heads for the megatank series very easily whereas it seems to be a headache to buy for the maxify (at least in my location). If I have some sort of trouble I can buy a head promptly.

Callistemon

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX850, Canon iP3000
Canon likes to ensure that all of their models have at least some major drawbacks. Why can't they have both refillable tanks and a decent LCD screen? Why can't they provide replacement parts for longer than 5 years? Why did they make their cartridges opaque and now have XL and XXL versions so that their regular cartridges can have despicably wasteful empty space? Why have they switched the TS6X20 series from individual ink tanks to tri-color cartridges with disposable print heads? Canon can't be explained.

Callistemon

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX850, Canon iP3000
Also, don't get HP. HP is the worst. They use aggressive DRM restrictions and set arbitrary cartridge expiration dates, cripple cartridges that are removed and reinserted, block aftermarket cartridges and refills, and inaccurately measure ink levels. HP OfficePrank 4655 document feeders smash documents and produce defective streaky and fuzzy prints even with new cartridges. Too many surveys have found users to be the most frustrated with HP products from various industries, not just printers. I have no reason to believe an HP tank printer would be so much more decent than their cartridge printers and laptops.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@Celso, I don’t know in Brazil, but in Europe Maxify printheads are readily available at a reasonable cost from reliable vendors. Instead, Megatank printheads are nowhere to be found.
As @The Hat said, I think that a Canon Maxify would suit you better, specially if you have another printer for printing best quality photos. Yes, Canon G series megatank are easier to refill but, apart from that, I don’t see other advantages.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If this makes a difference:

The Canon Megatank inks I looked at use Pigment for Black and Dye-based for all other colors.

The Canon Maxify uses all Pigment inks.

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
@Celso, I don’t know in Brazil, but in Europe Maxify printheads are readily available at a reasonable cost from reliable vendors. Instead, Megatank printheads are nowhere to be found.
As @The Hat said, I think that a Canon Maxify would suit you better, specially if you have another printer for printing best quality photos. Yes, Canon G series megatank are easier to refill but, apart from that, I don’t see other advantages.

Thanks. Tank printers in Brazil sell a lot (HP, Epson, Canon etc.). This is why, as I understand, heads for Megatank series are easy to find. Not only Canon sells them, but stationary shops etc. Maxify heads, on the other hand, is only sold by Canon. I will probably buy a Maxify, as its seems to be more sturdy than Megatanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Canon likes to ensure that all of their models have at least some major drawbacks.
I suggest you stop bashing Canon and other printer manufactures, just because they don’t meets your specific needs, they are what they are so get over it, moaning won’t change a Feckin thing, in fact you have ten year old printers and your still moaning…:th
If you want a guarantee then buy a Toaster..:weee