mailing refilled 221 oem cartridges

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
for those that may be interested, i mailed a set of refilled cartridges across the country with clean dry results, they were packed in a plastic container as in the photo above, no tape on the vent maze, the only precaution i took was to place each individual cartridge in a small zip lock baggie just encase leakage did occur. also when i mailed them i specified ground transport at the post office, which took 2 extra days but avoided any air pressure changes

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
There's no tape that will hold up against the cartridge being unpressurized.

When I get a chance, I will seal some "full" cartridges (some air left in the reservoir) and put them in a vacuum chamber to see what happens.
I finally got around to doing the test and the result was:

The aluminum tape covering the air vent hole did not prevent ink leakage out of the air vent hole as predicted.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Living at 7400 feet elevation, I opened a Canon BCI-6 OEM cart in the wrong order (did not pull of the vent sealing heat shrink plastic before I opened the ink outlet orange clip). What a mess!

The ink resvervoir emptied by about 1/3rd out the outlet before pressure equalized! That heat shrink wrap must have been a good seal!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess that the foam created by shaking the bottle will expand when the bottle is opened at altitude, much like opening a shaken soda bottle? This would be very messy.