Lost it all, starting over - Recommendations?

NurseBob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I actually joined some time back, but have mostly lurked and rarely posted.
So... I just lost all of my equipent, along with the house, in the Glass Fire in Napa, CA. I was able to evacuate with my workstation and about 40TB of data. However, monitors, printers, etc., are either slag or ashes.
I finally have the time to devote to post processing. I would love expert suggestions on:
1) Office/workarea lighting and/or print preview enclosure.
2) Monitor - my workstation supports multiple monitors (while not the best for editing, I did have 3 Dell monitors which served me well, but were far from top-of-the-line)
3) Printer - I had a Pro S-100, but would like to step up to the next level in reproduction capability and quality. Not to start any wars, thoughts on pigment vs. dye.
No need to get into workstations, mine is more than up to the task and is easily upgradeable; I'm happy with my DIY custom-built machine.
TIA to any willing to share opinions!

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_6156-Pano_05_06.jpg
    IMG_6156-Pano_05_06.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 254

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Wow. What complete devastation. I am sorry for your loss. A family friend lost everything in the fire as well. I can only imagine and even then it pales what you and my "uncle" are experiencing.

Thankfully you were able to save your irreplaceable precious memories and other important data. Good to hear your are rebuilding. :thumbsup

Not to start any wars, thoughts on pigment vs. dye.
No worries. We are a friendly bunch not prone to fanboy spats. Canon and Epson both have superb printers for you to choose from. The experts here typically have experience with one manufacturer more than the other and therefore it may seem there is a split. But it's not a disagreement per se.

3) Printer - I had a Pro S-100, but would like to step up to the next level in reproduction capability and quality.
The Pro-100 is an excellent dye-based ink printer. What is it you want to step up to? Larger prints. Roller paper? Built in densitometer? Other things???

Will you be creating your own ICC printer profiles? Using 3rd party inks?

What do you like to print - color, black and white, blueprints, etc? How often do you print and how many prints per week or month? What media do you want to print on - photo paper, canvas, etc?

Last but not least... the dreaded "what are you willing to spend?"

These are some of the questions to think about before choosing your next printer.

Concerning ICC printer profiles, having a proper profile for the printer, ink and paper combination used can raise your game if not using all OEM inks and/or paper. Red River, which makes photo paper, provides some ICC profiles created with their papers and specific printers and OEM inks. Other paper manufacturers may also provide their own created ICC profiles for their papers.

The following link from Red River, though, details the pigment-based ink printers for Canon and Epson. I include as an FYI to easily see what's out there in the land of pigment ink printers.

https://www.redrivercatalog.com/infocenter/tips/list-of-pigment-ink-inkjet-printers.html

NurseBob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wow. What complete devastation. I am sorry for your loss. A family friend lost everything in the fire as well. I can only imagine and even then it pales what you and my "uncle" are experiencing.

Thankfully you were able to save your irreplaceable precious memories and other important data. Good to hear your are rebuilding. :thumbsup

No worries. We are a friendly bunch not prone to fanboy spats. Canon and Epson both have superb printers for you to choose from. The experts here typically have experience with one manufacturer more than the other and therefore it may seem there is a split. But it's not a disagreement per se.

The Pro-100 is an excellent dye-based ink printer. What is it you want to step up to? Larger prints. Roller paper? Built in densitometer? Other things???

Will you be creating your own ICC printer profiles? Using 3rd party inks?

What do you like to print - color, black and white, blueprints, etc? How often do you print and how many prints per week or month? What media do you want to print on - photo paper, canvas, etc?

Last but not least... the dreaded "what are you willing to spend?"

These are some of the questions to think about before choosing your next printer.

Concerning ICC printer profiles, having a proper profile for the printer, ink and paper combination used can raise your game if not using all OEM inks and/or paper. Red River, which makes photo paper, provides some ICC profiles created with their papers and specific printers and OEM inks. Other paper manufacturers may also provide their own created ICC profiles for their papers.

The following link from Red River, though, details the pigment-based ink printers for Canon and Epson. I include as an FYI to easily see what's out there in the land of pigment ink printers.

https://www.redrivercatalog.com/infocenter/tips/list-of-pigment-ink-inkjet-printers.html
All good thoughts; much to chew on.

NurseBob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind thoughts and words. We've chosen to move out of California. We had made the decision a year ago, so the dislocation is not an issue; we're in Salt Lake City at the moment and will re-settle in the Greater Boulder, Colorado region. The main regret, among others that randomly spring up, is the 150 years of family photos, plus negs and prints of my own 60 year journey as a photographer. I kept reminding myself I needed to start scanning everything. Life lesson learned.

Speaking of devastation - the image of what was my Honda ST1300 (sport-touring) bike is easily as impressive. I rode that bike 176,000 miles (not a typo!) There are rivulets of molten aluminum streaming away from the bike...

Attachments

• IMG_6154.jpg
    IMG_6154.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 280

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The rivulets of aluminum is impressive. Looked it up and the melting point for aluminum is 1221 F (660 C)!

Sending the pic of the Honda to my brother. He has a couple of BMW's. Scratch moving to California.

Stay strong. Boulder is a great town. Mile high! At that altitude you might end up with an extra pint of blood over time to compensate for the oxygen debt when you move there.

NurseBob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
At that altitude you might end up with an extra pint of blood over time to compensate for the oxygen debt when you move there.
Well, considering I'm borderline polycythemic and already have an abnormally high red count, not a good outcome; increased risk of stroke with too many red cells! However, when I through-hiked the John Muir Trail in 2000, the excess red cells did help at altitude. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I believe the Rolling Stones had an album about treatment:

LetitbleedRS.jpg

There must be at least one hematologist or skilled primary care in Boulder that isn't too busy recommending marijuana to help monitor and treat as necessary. :fl

NurseBob

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I believe the Rolling Stones had an album about treatment:

LetitbleedRS.jpg

There must be at least one hematologist or skilled primary care in Boulder that isn't too busy recommending marijuana to help monitor and treat as necessary. :fl
Leeches are still in vogue in many areas!:ep
Aside from the incredible beauty of the Rockies in the Boulder region, one of the primary motivations was that Colorado has the Kaiser HMO available. I've been a member/patient since I was 11. Also worked as a nurse in the ICU at Kaiser San Francisco. Without that retirement I'd be living in my car...

macattack

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung M283x , Epson ET-7750
Maybe get a good super tank printer to print off more casual stuff cheaply (I like my ET-7750 so far) and a higher end one for those higher end printoffs?