Looking to replace a much older Canon printer; current or older model?

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
Anyone else?
How about what carts (series) are best to use based on refilling and printhead availability? IOW's what models for those carts after the series I'm using now with conventional re-fill technics?

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I wouldn't expect a driver anymore for Win XP, it is not listed in the specs, only Win 7 SP 1

If it's listed for Win 7, there is a chance. The question is 64 bit or 32 bit. Win 7 was not that great for supplying 32 bit drivers. So the hard part will be finding first a 64 driver. If it work you are OK. If it doesn't, search for a 32 bit driver, and then you have a chance. I remember the Win 7 days, and that's the game I had play back then.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sounds as you are talking about Win 3.1 :rolleyes:

I looked at canons site, they only list Server & W7, not XP, but that realy doesn't' matter.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the 1200 is disco'ed and replaced by the 1220, but I don't see a difference between the two. :confused:
I think the user benefits the most from the user replaceable waste ink box - a maintenance container/cartridge - which is taking away concerns and hazzles once the waste ink absorbers are full - no struggling with maintenance/service software - no need to take the printer apart or sending it to Canon

Last edited:

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Obviously, but how about all the other models with mega tanks that don't have this needed feature?? I typed that before I found out about their "secret'.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You started off looking for the G1200 which got updated to the G1220 with the waste ink cartridge, are you now looking for other models - more features whatever ? Do you have a list of your must have's and nice to have's for your new printer ? Are you tied to Canon or are you looking as well to Epson ?

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
My OP was my list but I could add a small size is important, depth mostly.
AFA Canon, I thought about Epson, but I almost never print photos (which I understand Epson is well known for with their pigmented ink) and I'm concerned about the lack of a replaceable printhead which I understand Epson doesn't have unless something has changed.
I am concerned about the delivery system of these mega tank models and the problem of air pockets in the tubes which I have read about (among other things). 'Rob Peter to pay Paul' syndrome. If I decided not to go with a
tank system, refillable, resettable carts would be a must.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I understand Epson is well known for with their pigmented ink)
That doesn't apply to A4 printers, there are Epson pigment ink printers for office applications similar to Canon GX... models with pigment inks, but all these are not photo printers, photo printers with pigment inks start at the A3 format - Canon Pro300 - Epson P700 and larger - much larger

Epson printheads are not user replaceable, and there is no need to with a minimum of care.
And air pockets in tubes are very rare as well, there can be other reasons- functionality, connectivity, printer size etc to choose Epson over Canon or v.v.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
That is one good reason I don't like Epson. Printheads.
AFA air in the tubes, take a look over are the one & two star printer reviews at Amazon . ;)

Last edited: