Looking for some Laserjets

Jonathan Morgan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP x551dw
New here, I'm doing some research and am looking for two laserjet printers for different applications.

For the first...
-ideal for printing on glossy
-can handle thicker cardstock
-can handle up to A3 size

The second...
-needs to be able to print on lightweight paper, down to 20g
-speed must be at least 20 ppm

What recommendations do you all have. Any input is appreciated.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
New here, I'm doing some research and am looking for two laserjet printers for different applications.

For the first...
-ideal for printing on glossy ..... No
-can handle thicker cardstock..... No
-can handle up to A3 size ..... Yes
The second...
-needs to be able to print on lightweight paper, down to 20g..... Yes
-speed must be at least 20 ppm..... No
What recommendations do you all have. Any input is appreciated.
What you’re looking for is a Digital colour printer and it can print on Semi-glossy 300 gm. cardstock up to SRA3 size, it can also print on light weight papers but not at speed so as to avoid paper jams..

You’re looking at big money because these things are not cheap to purchase or run, your alternative is an inkjet printer !

Jonathan Morgan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP x551dw
Thanks for the input. If I'm looking at an LED printer, what brands/models would you recommend for A3 size dealing with glossy cardstock, and for A4 dealing with 20g paper? Note that I'm looking for two separate printers for different applications. Also, as I consider specs at what point do you find that dpi becomes negligible? As far as price goes I'm hoping to find under $1500, and of course I want to find the best bang for my buck.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am sorry but I can’t recommend you a Brand or model of digital printer because they vary too much on each continent, so a particular model here may not be available in the US, but Canon, Xerox, OKI and Mitsubishi all make these printers at varying prices.

How deep are your pockets, because on this side of the pond $1500 wouldn’t cut it at all, more like treble that price in this type of print market, you have to remember you’re also buying the software to run these Postscript printers ? plus there is a steeper learning curve in using them correctly.

This DPI spectre thing is just an issue in people’s heads and in reality it doesn’t exist and should be put out to pasture, because all these digital machines ooze with print quality, not forgetting the inkjets either.

Getting 3rd party toners to work with this type of printer is just not on, because you’d be wasting your time and money, they simply don’t work very well colour wise, they need OEM inks and are far less forgiving than any inkjet printer is.

Cost and output are easier controlled with inkjet printers, with a much better selection of brand models, paper and 3rd party inks, plus there're far more likely to suite your pocket, and if you ever get up running successfully then you could afford to switch to the digital toner printers..