looking for a new printer, hoping to refill (eventually)

whitewallpaul

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
pgobkac said:
Did it arrive with "1st generation tanks" having clear windows, or opaque "2nd generation tanks"?
Are you suggesting that Canon have started producing the CLI-521 and PGI-520 cartridges in the same design as the 526 and 525 opaque versions?

Can anyone verify if that's what Canon are now doing?
I just purchased a gray 221 cartridge from office max last night (southern california)

It was a single cartridge but was still the old style with clear reservoir. The picture on the outside of the box showed the clear set/release tab.

I bought two sets of 221 clear reservoir carts off of ebay last week.

I contacted one ebay seller who had a new 220/221 set unexposed in box and he indicated they were completely opaque.

Canon is most likely running recent 221 production in the same mold and with the same material as 226. Makes sense from cost perspective.

I'm running the MG6120 converted to 221 carts with chip transplant.

Is there a hardware or compatibility difference from 221 to 521? I'm not sure...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
whitewallpaul said:
websnail said:
pgobkac said:
Did it arrive with "1st generation tanks" having clear windows, or opaque "2nd generation tanks"?
Are you suggesting that Canon have started producing the CLI-521 and PGI-520 cartridges in the same design as the 526 and 525 opaque versions?

Can anyone verify if that's what Canon are now doing?
I contacted one ebay seller who had a new 220/221 set unexposed in box and he indicated they were completely opaque.
If the seller can be trusted that's not good news and indicates that Canon have been paying attention to potential work-arounds (ie: reading this forum!) and are moving to plug the gap.

I think it's one of those "Believe it when I see it" deals though..

Is there a hardware or compatibility difference from 221 to 521? I'm not sure...
None in terms of the cartridges themselves, just the chips..

BUT... I learned that if you have 521 or 520 cartridges and a REdSETTER chip resetter for the 220/221 type you can get the resetter to convert them to the 220/221 variety.
Caveat/Disclaimer: This was something I learned from an American student who'd brought her Canon printer with her from the States (heaven only knows why!) only to discover the lack of compatible cartridges here in the UK. So it's semi unconfirmed until I can get anyone else to repeat it.

ohata0

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yay! Got my printer this morning and I just finished setting it up. The cartridges that I got from canon have the clear window \('-')/

I'll probably order another set of canon ink before I go ahead and start refilling.

I'm curious though, how many "empty" cartridges do I really need? I figure 2 or 3 might be enough, because I'll probably refill it after it's empty...maybe having a third cartridge would be good in case something goes wrong or something with one of the cartridges and I have a spare. Might not even need to get empties from ebay if I only need a couple of cartridges...

Ah, which brings me to the other question I have...what do I do w/ the empty carts when it's empty? Should I get the refilling supplies now and start refilling them as they're empty? Or can I just store them away until I'm ready to use them?

tested the print page and everything seems to be working ok. Can't print photos correctly though...comes out too dark. I think I have to calibrate my monitor or something. I'll look around to figure that out.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ohata0 I'm curious though, how many "empty" cartridges do I really need?
You will only need two sets of cartridges, one in the printer and one set spare.
If you do a lot of printing and dont want to stop to refill then get a third set, but two is usually enough.

When your cartridge is showing empty remove and replace with another and just
refit the orange shoe on the bottom of the now empty cartridge again using a rubber band
to hold it on and it will keep safely till your ready to tackle refilling..:)

ohata0

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think i'll be ready VERY soon. I just bought a second "set" of ink...total $70 (O_O).
I hope that they'll come w/ clear windows as well, but I guess if it doesn't, I'll just top fill those.

I guess the thing to think about next is whether to do german method or top fill...

I think i've decided on the ink (precision colors or octoInk(IS)) and might get the squEasyFill caps/bottles as well. I'll probably also get the resetter from either precision colors or octoink (depends where I get the ink). Getting a "set" from either place will allow me to do either german or top fill (they both come with plugs) and I can get 20g 2" needles from either.

guyg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just bought a second "set" of ink...total $70 (O_O).

I think I would return those carts and order another printer. today they went down to $71.99 w/shipping. You would get a set of carts and a spare printer for the same cost :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
guyg I think I would return those carts and order another printer. today they went down to $71.99 w/shipping.
Good thinking, a new printer for just $1.99..:thumbsup

ohata0

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
wow, nice catch. I'm going through the process of "cancelling" the order from amazon (it says it's shipping "soon" (friday, btw is NOT soon)).

If it goes through, then I'll buy a spare printer (might as well, since the ink alone costs that much), and then I'll have a spare printer and print head :)

...ok, that was quick. Just got the e-mail saying that they're unable to cancel my order. I'll have to just return it i guess. I may lose $10-12 (after shipping back and adding the extra cost ($1.99 + tax) of the printer, but then I'd have a spare printer and print head.

Should I just reseal the box after I take the inks out? Should I test out the printer to make sure it functions (turns on, etc). I don't think it's practical to have 2 printers setup over here (no room).

And even then, we still have out old HP printer that technically still works. We may use it a little to run out the blank ink or something (it was just replaced), so it make work ok for printing out text documents (have to baby sit it to feed the paper though).

Or should I just skip the new canon cartridges and just buy a bunch of virgin carts (I found a seller on ebay that has 5 of each)?

*Sigh* I'm a little undecided on what I should do here. I guess because option A (keeping the amazon carts) isn't that great a deal compared to option B (getting a extra printer and print head for a little more than the cost of the ink. Option B requires more "storage space", which is a little bit of a problem here (kinda cluttered), although I can probably make room somewhere. Option C (getting virgin carts from ebay) worries me a little simply because I don't know what condition the carts are in (used...not sure if they did anything like forcing to ignore warnings (which makes the chips unusable from what i've read))

I'll think about it a little more i guess before I decide.

ohata0

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
well, went and ordered the printer. Just gotta clear out some space to store it :p

I'll have to return the cartridges from amazon when I get them...unfortunately, I can't just "refuse" the package it seems, because it looks like another item I ordered was shipped at the same time (maybe packaged together). Oh well...I expected as much.

thanks again guyg for the tip.