looking for a new printer, hoping to refill (eventually)

ohata0

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new printer...looking for an all in one printer, mostly because we have multiple computers at our house and do scan documents from time to time. Would like to be able to print nice photos.

Since ink is expensive, and a lot of new printers seem to drain ink rather quickly, I would like to go the route of refilling, although I haven't any experience doing that yet.

Right now I was looking at canon's mp990 and the mg6120, and epson's artisan 835.

In regards to the canon, I'm not quite sure which route I should take--the mp990 is a little more expensive (as it's the older version of the new mg8120) and uses the older 220/221 cartridges, while the mg6120 uses the 225/226 cartridges. From what I've read on here, it seemed that the 220/221 cartridges are better having chip resetters and older versions had the clear window which helped refilling. The new ones use opaque cartridges and don't have chip resetters out right now. The problem is that the 220/221 cartridges with windows are old stock and have also been replaced with an opaque version.

Given the state of the two cartridges, is there a benefit to getting the mp990 (and the 220/221 cartridges) over the mg6120 at this point? the newer cartridges will probably have chip resetters of it's own soon right?

On the other side of the fence, how is the epson in regards to refilling?

For printing is there a preference between the 3 printers? I've heard that epson's printers don't print text that well (or as well as other inkjets), but print nicer photos. Canon has a higher resolution (2400 dpi i believe, vs 1440 dpi) and smaller droplet size (1 vs 1.5 pl) which also helps with photos. Yeah...not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, because I live in hawaii, my choices are also limited as to where I can buy these printers. Right now, I can buy the mp990 from the canon store ($150 new/$90 refurb), the mg6120 from amazon (it's in stock again $130) or bestbuy (also $130-rather pay tax than have to pay $100 or so for shipping >_<), and artisan 835 from amazon ($170).

As much as I like how a dedicated photo printer sounds, it isn't practical for what we want in terms of connection (a lot of them are USB only...how am I supposed to connect it to the network if it's only USB?), and price (although the pro9000 mark ii has a $200 mail in rebate, amazon won't ship to hawaii, shipping from B&H is about $100, canon and bestbuy prices are at $500 vs $450 at B&H).

I've also read that OEM cartridges are the way to go. At first I was considering third party (ex. inkproducts.com) refillable cartridge for the canons (clear and has a plug in place for refilling), but I've heard mixed reviews (both on the various sellers and third party cartridges in general). Are the third party cartridges really that bad? A clear case would be nice for refilling.

And then there's the method of refilling. I'm guessing that the German method would be difficult with opaque cases, both in figuring out how much your filling and when to fill (I just read that it's best when the ink tank is almost empty when you refill via the german method...difficult if you are using opaque cartridges and no chip resetting). Although the top filling method seems easy enough, I worry a little about sealing the hole (and it leaking). Is top filling the only real option when using opaque cases? Also, what's good for sealing the hole? Is a good tape enough or do I have to resort to hot glue or a screw or something odd like that? With all the issues with refilling the canon cartridges, does the epson fare any better?

I think I have to decide soon as to what I should buy since the sales that are going on are only until the end of the month i believe. The only thing that I'm hesitant about is the fact that I don't print that often at the moment. If I did get a new printer, then I would use it to print some photos, but I'm not sure how often that would be in the end. I do feel we should get a new printer though since our current one is having a lot of issues (new color cartridge doesn't print one of the colors, multiple colors in a single cartridge, having to babysit it during paper feeding, constant paper jams, errors trying to do scanning, print quality is getting worse (some "didn't feel like printing that line" banding), etc).

Since I don't do that much printing (and may not in the future--not sure), I don't know if it'd be a good idea to get OCP ink (as the bottles are pretty big--16oz). How long would the ink last if I were to get it (shelf life and average number of refills per bottle), and what are the alternatives (also where to buy them)?

I tried to look at the recent postings and I'm sorry if this is something that is easily searchable, but I thought I'd ask all my questions in a new post (rather than hijack someone else's thread).

guyg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would go with the Canon mp990 refurb. It's a nice printer with easily refillable carts and actually uses the same print head as the 6120 and 8120 so it should be pretty fast. The new 225/226 carts can be refilled, but not easily and a resetter is not avaliable yet and will probable be expensive when it comes out. I am really leaning toward getting one myself. Virgin emptycarts are available for the 221, I picked up a lot of 50 for $35.00 off ebay recently , but you might need to look until a good deal comes up. I also picked up two other printers with carts for $5.00 in a garage sale for two more sets as well as good printheads for my mx870 and mp560. I also believe Staples has refilled oem canon carts in the 221. So the carts are available, you just have to find them. You may find yourself doing more printing than you think, once you dont worry about ink costs and with a wireless printer it's so easy. I am new to refilling also, but have learned enough to get started here on this forum. there are a lot of helpful people who can give advice if you need it, but do some homework first as there is a wealth of information here. Amazon has a resetter for under $10.00, get some quality ink. and you will be ready to go :)

jamorama

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
With coupon code 511rfb20, you can get the mp990 refurb price down to $71.99 before taxes... believe it lasts till the 24th

ohata0

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
wow thanks! I was wavering a little between the old printer (MP990) and the new one (MG6120), but I think i'll just go and get the MP990. That coupon code makes the deal even better! good thing I didn't buy it right away.

just ordered it! :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
pgobkac said:
Did it arrive with "1st generation tanks" having clear windows, or opaque "2nd generation tanks"?
Are you suggesting that Canon have started producing the CLI-521 and PGI-520 cartridges in the same design as the 526 and 525 opaque versions?

Can anyone verify if that's what Canon are now doing?

ohata0

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
didn't get it yet, so I'll check the carts when i get it (supposed to be delivered on the 28th, but might not be home when they arrive...might have to wait until monday)

I've heard a lot of talk about cli-221's being opaque, although they might still have ones with the clear window. But I think it is being made (unfortunately).
Maybe if I find a few on ebay that are clear then I'll pick some up. Otherwise...maybe I should just get a scale? hmm...

When should I start refilling my own cartridges? I'll probably pick up another OEM set before I start looking at refilling. The other thing is warranty...refurbished is 90 days. I'm guessing that canon won't honor the warranty if I screw up the refill and it leaks or clogs the printer somehow.

Well, I'll worry about that later i guess. gotta pick up a bunch of stuff before I need to worry about refilling, so I have time.

P

pgobkac

websnail said:
Are you suggesting that Canon have started producing the CLI-521 and PGI-520 cartridges in the same design as the 526 and 525 opaque versions?
That may or may not be an "urban legend". I've certainly noticed NS posts indicating this may be the case, but I have no direct knowledge. If I were a betting man, I would put my wager on all 220/221's being the same, with clear window.

My observation is that the people indicating 220/221 are opaque don't necessarily have a 220/221 printer in their signature.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hmm... Thinking about it, it's probably one of those "relative to" things... Compared to the CLI-5/8's the 220/221's are about 90% opaque... The 225/226's are completely opaque... It's likely the comparison is between the two earlier cart sets rather than the last two sets.