Lookinf for info UW8 ink gamut vs. Inktec CLI-8 series

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Has anyone information regarding gamut comparision of these two inks.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
yes, I refilled to sets of BCI-6 cartrdiges (CMYK), one set with Hobbicolors UW-8 ink and one set with Inktec CLI-8 ink. With the same printer profile for the UW-8 ink, the UW8 ink produces much more vibrant and more vivid colours. The Inktec CLI-8 ink is capable to produce the same vibrancy, but must be profiled. Especially the the magenta and the cyan of the UW8 ink are more vivid and produces much better blues/greens and deep reds/oranges without any extra profiling.

Something else: I printed a test print with the Inktec CLI-8 inks and discover they are fading much faster than the Hobbicolors UW-8 inks and that after only 2 months (print was taped on the window facing direct towards the sun), the fading was unacceptable to me, because there was an orange colour cast. The Hobbicolors UW8 inks fade much slower and the prints are more acceptable because all the colours faded almost equally, so there was hardly a colour cast to be seen. Even the B/W test area's were amazingly neutral without any colour cast, even it has faded a little bit.

So the best ink to me is the Hobbicolors UW-8, beter gamut and much better light fastness compared to the Inktec CLI-8 inks.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hmm, I recently tried lomond paper Super Glossy Premium Photo Paper, 260 g/m2

It's the best they have, compared my gamut of IP6700D with another site that has Pixma 4500 and it seems as 4500 has better gamut in blue/magenta area. Just trying to fid out how is this possible.

Even with UW8 inks nonprofiled printer canot be better than 6 color with a profile.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Smile,

The fact I use the same printer profile for both sets of ink (UW-8 and Inktec CLI-8) on the same printer should give me about the same printout. However it did not: the Inktec CLI-8 ink pritnouts are duller and the colours are a bit flatten out. Keep in mind I use a special UW-8 printerprofile for printing on my MP780. Nevertheless: after profiling the Inktec CLI-8 produces exactly the same printout, but the prints tends to fade much faster........

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Inktec ink was once praised by PC Magazine as one brand of after market compatible ink with excellent or best fade resistance. Although your test is not completely scientific it really represents a most practical test in real life situations. Your result shows how different it can be to those conditional tests performed by commercially sponsored organizations. I have used UW8 and other after market ink for a few years. There are a few things that UW8 ink is really outstanding in.

When I first tried UW8 ink I immediately noticed that it gave clearly more vibrant colors when printing colors on a piece of regular plain copy machine paper, most notably the blue color. All other after market ink I used before had a lighter blue. But UW8 clearly printed a richer or deeper blue that I normally would not see on plain papers. Further printing it revealed that the colors were remarkably more vibrant than normally printed on plain paper with all other after market ink I used. Tt took very little time to demonstrate how vibrant the colors were wben I began to print photos. Some may say that Canon's default profiles happen to be matching UW8 ink better. But you can also perceive it as UW8 better formulated to yield better and more vibrant colors. If you are able to make a profile for UW8 ink you can really reveal the full potential of the colors of the ink.

UW8 ink is also outstanding in another aspect as a compatible ink. It works really problem free. It's not luck or I am good at taking care of my printers. The UW8 ink never clogged my print head. I don't print heavy duty print jobs. But in a typical print job I do print 3 to 10 pages of text/graphics continuously. Each time I simply have full confidence that everything will be perfectly printed. It would only let me down when it was out of ink in the middle of a print job. I can remember those days when I had to be nervously watching my printer printing. I still watch my printer but with a confidence knowing that every thing will be perfect.

Does anyone know who makes the UW8 ink? Where is it made? I have no clue. The bottom line is it works and it is not expensive.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Canon OEM ink is one that can print really saturated deep blue color on plain paper. I have used many after market ink but none of them was close until I bought UW8 ink. It was a distinct difference that made me remember it. I don't know if profiling can make Inktec ink to print a saturated blue like that. Profiling can address color shift problems. But if an ink does not have the gamut profiling can not make it print colors outside of its color space.

Robertgemcol

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sorry new to this site but i do have a commet on the Canon inks For one the Magenta and Photo Magenta are diffrerent between the BCI-6 and the CLi-8 cartridges this also applies to the photo Black The Cyan, Yellow Black, Photo Cyan are the same.
If you need more detail contact me

pharmacist said:
yes, I refilled to sets of BCI-6 cartrdiges (CMYK), one set with Hobbicolors UW-8 ink and one set with Inktec CLI-8 ink. With the same printer profile for the UW-8 ink, the UW8 ink produces much more vibrant and more vivid colours. The Inktec CLI-8 ink is capable to produce the same vibrancy, but must be profiled. Especially the the magenta and the cyan of the UW8 ink are more vivid and produces much better blues/greens and deep reds/oranges without any extra profiling.

Something else: I printed a test print with the Inktec CLI-8 inks and discover they are fading much faster than the Hobbicolors UW-8 inks and that after only 2 months (print was taped on the window facing direct towards the sun), the fading was unacceptable to me, because there was an orange colour cast. The Hobbicolors UW8 inks fade much slower and the prints are more acceptable because all the colours faded almost equally, so there was hardly a colour cast to be seen. Even the B/W test area's were amazingly neutral without any colour cast, even it has faded a little bit.

So the best ink to me is the Hobbicolors UW-8, beter gamut and much better light fastness compared to the Inktec CLI-8 inks.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
If "Magenta and Photo Magenta are diffrerent between the BCI-6 and the CLi-8" then the difference is very small. I don't see any gamut changes at all.

What I do agree is that OCP Lc could be different than InkTec Lc.
Do you have any info regarding this?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Smile said:
If "Magenta and Photo Magenta are diffrerent between the BCI-6 and the CLi-8" then the difference is very small. I don't see any gamut changes at all.
The spreadsheet in this post gives comparative data on the colors of OEM BCI-6 and CLI-8 inks for C/M/Y/K. The OEM magenta had a relatively large shift between the two inks (dE=17.7).

There is also data on BCI-6 InkTek inks.

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry, off topic, but Grandads Colour post and spreadsheet bought back many happy memories working with textiles doing dye rates, colour fading and all sorts of scientific stuff. And washing machines. Lots of washing fabrics. I can even still understand what Grandad was writing about!

Goodness knows where all that lovely kit ended up. Probably in a crate in a warehouse in Austria (next to the box with the Lost Ark in it)

Apologies for off topic post.