Long Term Storage Canon MX922

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
Sorry if this has been covered before. I wasn't able to find the cite.

Suggestions for Preparing working well used Canon Pixma mx922 for long term storage.
I cannot easily disassemble anything. If absolutely needed, I might buy empty carts and fill them with some preserving solution, prior to storage. I then would remove the carts if I should. I will store on printer's side as in use[the box says that].

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Suggestions for Preparing working well used Canon Pixma mx922 for long term storage.

1. The printer itself needed little preparation for storage, just flood the parking station (Purge unit) with Windex and run a cleaning cycle and that it.

2. Remove the carts and seal the ends with the orange clips, wrap them in a plastic bag loosely and store in a cool place, some suggest the Refrigerator.

3. Leave the print head in a solution of a couple of drops of Dreft and warm water for a few hours, then rinse and dry, then place the head on a paper towel and pour some Propylene Glycol onto the ink inlets, pop it into a plastic bag with the paper towel and store.
OR...

1. Just run a cleaning cycle and store the printer with carts and print head still installed, it will keep for quite some time without any adverse effects at all.
Tip: Above all don’t store your printer on its side, it must be keep flat and in the upright position at all times, side storage will render your printer unusable later...
If it were me, I’d choose (4)... unless its for a very very long time, 3 years plus...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm not very comfortable recommending filling Canon Carts with any cleaning solution or running deep head cleans either, because some guy just might get the bright idea to print a nozzle check and destroy the print head they were trying so hard to protect, Epson printers maybe, but not Canon...:(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@The Hat

I have tried cartridges with cleaning solution. I did cleaning cycles, probably including a deep cleaning cycle, and nozzle checks. While it did not resolve the issue it did not demonstrably worsen the malfunction.

Is your concern that the cleaning solution will not be able to keep the nozzles cool enough so that there is greater risk of burnout. Have there been reports of this occurring?

Aren't we of the mind that printing only nozzle checks is "safe" for the print head when there is missing ink in the print out?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Aren't we of the mind that printing only nozzle checks is "safe" for the print head when there is missing ink in the print out?
Very true, but why try to worsen a situation by deliberately using carts that have only water in them...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I would make sure the carts are full of ink, print some stuff to make sure the carts are pressure equalized a bit and then put away.
First order of the day before restarting is to check the level of the ink now left inside the carts. If the levels have dropped significantly, then I would drip out the carts till empty then refill and then start printing.

Water needs to have the surface tension modified a bit to get good wetting inside the printhead.

Just pulled out an MX870 out of long term storage (Approx 2 years) started right back up with a perfect nozzle check. Stored with ink.
My trusty iP3300 died by not coming back to life suddenly,,, would not power on ( stroke during sleep!) The MX870 now replaces it.
I have lost 4 printers with the same issue. Would not turn on in the last 2 years.....out of the same power line since I moved 2 + years ago. Never happened before. Canon iP4500, Epson 3640, Epson R2880 and now the iP3300. I've just purchased a Line Volt Regulator and a UPS and wondering if the Regulator is all I need... a lot of expensive printers are fed from this power line so I am not taking any chances. I'll begin this discussion on another thread.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
using carts that have only water in them...
I thought we were talking about cartridges filled with a cleaning solution, mostly water, like new OEM cartridges, but not just water alone. :idunno

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Water needs to have the surface tension modified a bit to get good wetting inside the printhead.
Is Pharmacist's print head storage solution not capable of this function?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I stock my printers as described with cartridges filled with pharmacists solutions (the regular or the "conservation" with 50% isopropanol), just a cleaning cycle.
Never had problems.

But I tried once to clean a printhead with ink diluted with this solution in the cartridges, doing multiple cleanings and nozzle checks and I ruined the head.