Life of Third Party Inks

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi inkjet freaks....

Yesterday I got an email about an article that appeared in PC World Magazine concerning the reduced life of prints made with third party ink....

First, why do they call it THIRD Party-- it would seem that a company other than the manufacturer of the printer would be the SECOND party :)

Anyway, the article reflects findings by Wilhelm that tested prints put under intense accelerated light exposure. He sets the benchmark for LABORATORY testing of papers and ink. Generally a good STARTING POINT, but perhaps more important to scientists and professional sellers of photos than most of us.

It comes as no great surprise, that the prints using cheaper inks have a shorter life span-- BUT WHAT DOES THIS REALLY MEAN?

Several important things to consider.

1) Example, a set of official Canon Inks will cost you six times what, for example, as set of G and G Inks (from Inkgrabber - one source) will cost. That's $75 for a set of ink carts, versus about $15. Wilhelm states right off the bat that the quality of prints are comparable to the OEM inks.

2) How many prints do you really need to last 25 years or more? Are some for short or temporary use? What percentage?

3) Are your prints subject to constant intense light, or looked at a couple times than put in an album or drawer, and hardly looked at again?

4) Do you have copies of all of your savable images permanently on a hard drive or disc?

In my case, and in my personal experience, I rarely leave a photo in the same place on a wall for more than a couple of years at most. And this is never in direct sunlight.

>>>>>In these cases, example on my office wall, I have dozens of prints, all printed with cheap ass MIS ink or Inkgrabber ink, that have been on my wall in indirect, but bright, light for four years or more. NO FADING noticeable. These are with Wilhelm's WORST rated inks. And I don't even put them in frames or behind glass. Scotch tape to wall. That's it.<<<<<<

This is despite that fact that Wilhelm claims seriously accelerated fading in HIS TESTS. Good grief, its his job to TRY and make prints fade. In the real world, you will be hard pressed to make this occur.

If one of these prints eventually fades, I make another. Simple. but it hasn't happened yet.
I would expect that if I were to put these prints under glass, sealed in a frame, they would last even longer than they do completely unprotected.

Would I buy a set of official $75 Canon inks just so I don't have to worry about this for 25 years? I don't think so.

Anybody needing a like new perfect copy of one of my pictures can simply go to my hard drive and print one, and if necessary use archival inks and papers. But that's something I am just not concerned with. And I think the need for this kind of thing is greatly overstated by anyone except those making art prints.

Take this into consideration-
1) Its Wilhelm's job his job to TRY and make prints fade. In the real world, you will be hard pressed to make this occur. Most of us are not leaving our prints up on the roof under the summer sun. Yes, his tests are accelerated to SIMULATE normal light conditions - but his results have not been borne out by my REAL non-simulated conditions. Sorry Wilhelm.

2) PC World Magazine makes their money running ads by companies like HP, Canon, and Epson, who make ALL of their printer revenue not on their printers, but their INK REFILLS. I would say that PC World is not going to give you much information that bites the hands that feed them. I am sure they were delighted to run the article below- but frankly, my real world experience makes this article mostly irrelevant.

3) If you are REALLY concerned with prints that your grandchildren, or your kids will look at far in the future-- print accordingly. Otherwise, don't drive yourself nuts and go broke at the same time.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111767,00.asp

My Wall of Photos
wallofphotos.jpg

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Neil,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for posting the picture.

I totally agree with you! The only time anyone in my family has requested long lasting prints was from my wife who wants to use them for scrap-booking purposes. In these cases I think my inks and nice paper (paper being just, if not more important than ink) or I run over to Costco and just pay $0.14 per print to ensure that my wife is happy.

All that Wilhelm institute stuff... I think it only applies if you are planning on selling high end prints where people are paying $XX for each print and are expecting their image to last "forever".

I've only had to reprint an image one time due to fading, and that was because I had used really cheap ink on really cheap / first generation photo paper from an old printer. It took me a few minutes to re-print the picture and swap it with the old one. Actually, I don't think it was a fading issue, but seemed almost more like an out-gassing / humidity problem as the inks seemed like they got "sweaty" and the colors weren't as rich.

Hey, I'll take the trade off of paying one tenth the price of ALL my printing at the expense of the possibility that I may have to reprint a picture in the future.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Just my 2 cents:
1. Professional photographers have known for many years that even conventional color photographs fade over time. For this reason, my wife's wedding portrait (taken 37 years ago) is a B&W photo that was hand tinted by an artist - it is mounted behind glass and has always been on continuous display out of direct sunlight. It looks as good today as when it was tinted - there is no question that pigments are more stable than dyes.
2. Very few of my prints are going to be framed and hung on a wall - most of them don't even make it to the refrigerator. Those that do make it to the refrigerator are only there for a few months until newer photos replace them. Why waste money on these prints?
3. If I know that someone is going to frame a print and wants it to last for at least 5 years, I just print it on Ilford Classic Pearl ($1 for a 13"x19" sheet) - a swellable paper that greatly increases the life of a dye based inkjet print.
4. Like Rob said, if someone wants a print that they want to last for a "long time" (see the first point above), I just have it printed at Costco on "real photo paper" for $3.00 for a 12"x18" sheet.
5. This whole "archival" argument IS a legitimate concern for professional photographers who sell their prints. What percentage of inkjet users fall into this category? If you DO fall into this category, your time is too valuable to be spent refilling ink carts, and you won't be interested in most of the discussions in this forum.
6. Even professionals may still want to use a Canon (maybe even with 3rd party prefilled carts) for their proofs, where an off-color and fast fade would actually be desirable. Does anyone else remember the old "proofs" that were printed in sepia and would only last for a few weeks, making them almost worthless as photos?
7. If you are archiving your prints digitally, be aware that hard drives, CDs and DVDs are not archival.

Most of the "archival" discussions on the various forums are generally by professional photographers with legitimate needs or representatives of various printer manufacturers pushing their respective employer's talking points, and have almost no relevance to most inkjet users. I refill because it allows me to print many times more pictures than I would if I had to pay full OEM paper and ink prices - I think that I actually spend more now on paper and ink than I used to spend printing at Costco, but I get instant results and print many more photos than before. I now think nothing of printing 50 8x10s (for $10.50), but I would only print them as 4x6s if I was printing them at Costco (for $9.50).

Each person has to look at their personal printing needs and then make the decision appropriate for them.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hello....

I refill and sell printer inks for a living, as well as doing Graphic Design work. Since printer repair is also part of my work, I can tell you that using "third-party" inks certainly gives acceptible results. However, what may people do not know is that using these inks can shorten the life of your printer. Of course, by the time this happens, people have saved so much money by using alternate inks, that it worthwhile to just go out and get another printer, which are very inexpensive these days.

3rd party inks are here to stay, and well they should be. If they fade in 25 years or less..just click "file/print".

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry but I don't buy the argument- or is it propaganda- that third party, second party, whatever you call them-- INDEPENDENT reasonably priced inks shorten the life of your printer.

I have a Canon S900, still in service after thousands and thousands of prints. I have 3 i950 printers, that show no sign of problems, again THOUSANDS of prints-- all with cheap ink.

I do not suggest off the shelf GENERIC replacement inks, as it is impossible to formulate a GENERIC inkjet ink- you have to go to a vender making ink specifically for your model printer, such as MIS, or Inkgrabber. With these companies no one will cause any damage to a printer head that would be avoided with official OEM inks.