lexmark z615

fent

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought the above printer, just for text purposes. The CD that came with it was scratched and so the drivers wouldnt install.So I simpyl downloaded them from the net. The printer now fully installs, but wont print anythign at all.

I mean, it does SAY its printing, it take sin the paper, makes all the right noises, but the paper tha comes out is completely blank.

Ive followed all the troubleshooting tips the pc gives me...ie- the stickers and labels are off the two cartridges, which are in the correct place, and the ink levels are high.

Its connected via USB cable, and I take it that the cable is workign fine, as the printer responds when i tell it to print.

Thing is, its always totally blank paper. Not a bit of colour! Im at my wits end now, and I'm getting really upset by the bloody thing!!

Can anybody tell me whats wrong with this thing, or give me any tips as to what to dp to get it working!?!?

Thanks!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Immediate question... is it a new model or a second hand unit?

.. and of course is under warranty?

fent

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
2nd hand, and I dont have the papers if its under warrenty....

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
fent said:
2nd hand, and I dont have the papers if its under warrenty....
I hate to say it but it sounds to me like you were sold a lemon...

I've had two of these in the form of a C84 and an R200 in the past 6 months, both of which were supposed to be working.

Best I can suggest is that you try some of the cleaning methods suggested on here and also try emailing e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)org
and asking for a copy of the printhead cleaning manual from Arthur Entlich... It's for Epson printers but the premise is the same.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Better test the cartridges, too.

Fold a paper towel 3-4 times, then put some hot water on the paper towel. Hold the bottom of the cartridges on the wet area. If you can see a large black spot, or all 3 colour lines and nothing shows up on the paper when printing, the printer is defective. If you can see no black or colour spots on the paper towel, then the cartridges are at fault. You can also take Q-tips and rubbing alcohol, and clean the copper contacts on the printer and the cartridges.

Good luck!!

Good luck!

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Not saying I am correct, but it also may be a printer install problem. If the printer has some self test independent of the printer driver run it and see if it prints.--if it then prints it may indicate the problem may be in the printer install---just one dll the install routine can't find is enough to get a bum install.

Otherwise proper troubleshooting may involve investing in new cartridges---and maybe throwing good money after bad---on a printer that has little hope of ever being economical

fent

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok. I tried the wet paper towel, and got some black an coloured ink. So i guess the cartridges are fine.

However, it may be the software.

Im not too sure which drivers to download. I run xp, and so ive clicked on the xp drivers, but there are 2 different drivers - "Custom Driver for Microsoft Windows XP and Server 2000", aswell as the "System Driver for Windows 2000 and XP"......

So which one do i need to download?

There are alos utilities - "System Information Utility for Microsoft Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP"

So...what do i download, and what do i do with them once I download them - should they install automatically?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
fent said:
However, it may be the software.

Im not too sure which drivers to download. I run xp, and so ive clicked on the xp drivers, but there are 2 different drivers - "Custom Driver for Microsoft Windows XP and Server 2000", aswell as the "System Driver for Windows 2000 and XP"......

So which one do i need to download?
I looked at the UK site and found this page:
http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-pe...0&searchLang=en&os_group=Windows 2000&target=

I then got as confused as you about what the difference was between the different types and found this:
http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl...227:5:0:433:0:0&framed=&docid=854&relevance=0

So, it seems the custom driver for Windows 2000 (not the server edition) is the smart choice.

There are alos utilities - "System Information Utility for Microsoft Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP"

So...what do i download, and what do i do with them once I download them - should they install automatically?
That sounds a little like the status monitor that Epson printers have.. I'm guessing but I'd imagine it's used to check ink levels, and help with printer related tasks.

Hope that helps. :)

fent

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
so i should choose the custom driver for windows 2000 even though Im running XP? :/

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
fent said:
so i should choose the custom driver for windows 2000 even though Im running XP? :/
No... I should learn to read properly... :p (oops)

Choose WinXP but bear in mind the points I noted above about what each one does...