Let's face it, Canon's Purge Units really don't suck...

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
....ENOUGH!

The rectangular seal around the head deforms, leaks and vacuum is broken or deteriorated.

If you have an air bubble between the nozzles and the inlet screen, it may NEVER get dislodged through cleaning cycles.

The small hoses between the moving parking pad and peristaltic pump become easily dislodged/disconnected.

The plastic manifold between the pump tubing and pad tubing has REALLY TINY passageways/orifices that can clog REALLY easily.

What a maintenance headache!!

Wayne

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
"Canon's Purge Units really don't suck..."
From the list of problems in the Canon purge unit- it really does suck- it sucks big time.
Al

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
If I were trying to remove a bubble for a single color, I would first make sure the cartridge was working correctly (I suspect that's where problems usually lie).

If the cartridge was unquestionably working correctly, I would devise a way to lightly pressurize the vent on the cartridge, without removing the cartridge. I would limit the pressure to a few inches of head, and I would collect the effluent from the print head on a soft, lint-free wiper. That way, you could purge a single color in a controlled way.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
ThrillaMozilla said:
If I were trying to remove a bubble for a single color, I would first make sure the cartridge was working correctly (I suspect that's where problems usually lie).

If the cartridge was unquestionably working correctly, I would devise a way to lightly pressurize the vent on the cartridge, without removing the cartridge. I would limit the pressure to a few inches of head, and I would collect the effluent from the print head on a soft, lint-free wiper. That way, you could purge a single color in a controlled way.
I agree, but why should one have to do this? It isn't so easy either, as this must be done with the print head in position. It would be easier to use a modified cart with the sponge removed and filled with ink in-situ to build up the "head" to push out the bubble.

Wayne

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Why should you have to do this? It might be easier, more economical, and wouldn't fill the purge pads. No disassembly, no cartridge or head removal. A little tricky to devise something, perhaps.

A modified cartridge with sponge removed might work too. Maybe messy unless you install and remove it without ink in it. Or maybe just a piece of vinyl tubing.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
If you use a piece of tubing, then you gotta make the printer think there's a cart installed?

Wayne

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
No, you're not printing. You're just pouring some ink through the head. That's what the printer's purge unit does.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Actually, I just cleared a persistent bubble with a turkey baster blowing hard on the inlet screen after pulling out the offending color cart and re-inserting it! Hmmm...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
turbguy said:
Actually, I just cleared a persistent bubble with a turkey baster blowing hard on the inlet screen after pulling out the offending color cart and re-inserting it! Hmmm...
I wish it could be Christmas every day.. :lol: