Leopard permits Epson 3880 to print 60+ in ???

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
From my Nikonians group I came across a review discussion about the 3880, the topic of max print length arose and this link was presented. The following is my response to post:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...grapher/2011/04/why-i-love-my-epson-3880.html

Just finished reading the above link: The Online Photographer. Mike Johnston. Very interesting, but what caught my attention was this response comment:

Dear Bruce K,

"I think it would depend on how long a panoramic you like to make. And how often you make them. I know there's a print length limit on the driver for the 3880, but I just told it to make a 17" x 60" print (16" x 58" image area) and it didn't choke. That's under Snow Leopard; the Windows driver might be different."

With all my 3880 activities, I have never seen this info. The max size I'm aware of and tried was a 17x37 test print containing a small image at each end--just wanted to test the handling and not drain my carts. I have frequently printed 17x25 sized prints without problems, but I'm running Win7x64 not a Mac. Any comments by Mac users? I have constantly read/heard that the limitation is in the hardware, the 3880, not the firmware. Now if the Leopard can achieve this, to me it means Win software can be created to achieve the same result. We are aware that for the 3800 (an earlier Epson software version) a prgm was writ that would allow much longer than 'normal' print lengths to be achieved. The subsequent Epson 'upgrade' prevented this enhanced performance-wonder why??

I welcome responses from Mac owners, especially if you tried to do this--and succeeded!

Thank you irv weiner

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Irv,

actually I can print up to 6.5 meters using the UDPS utility of Helmar (Windows XP only, but I am using Virtual Box to run the older 5.51 version). Since the Epson Pro 3880 is just an update from the Pro 3800 with different internal RIP to cope with the vivid (light) magenta's, I don't think it is hardware based. You can easily check this by taping a few letter/A4 pages to make a long sheet and print a rectangular box with only the outer lines, so you don't need much ink and you can test the maximum boundary the printer can handle. Unfortunately the UDPS utility is not supported by the Epson Pro 3880.

How is your test of the small foot system proceeding at the moment ?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Just wish someone could find a way to make the Canon Pro 9000 MKII do pano prints :/