Legal size scanning and resume envelope printing?

Data

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm in search of an AIO printer and really like the Canon MP620 Wireless All-in-One Photo Printer.
The only two things it is missing, is scanning of legal size documents and the capability to print addresses on a resume envelope (9.5X12)
Not that important, but it would also be nice to have dual sided printing and scanning.
Is there a printer that can do all this and doesn't brake the bank?

Thanks for any help

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
You might want to check out the L7000 series of MFD from HP for this... (eg: L7680, L7780)

I don't have any legal paper but I checked the scanner bed and I'm reasonably sure it can handle legal sizes...

From specification said:
Reflective Scan Area
8.5 x 14"
So, looks like it does...

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Data said:
Hi all,
I'm in search of an AIO printer and really like the Canon MP620 Wireless All-in-One Photo Printer.
The only two things it is missing, is scanning of legal size documents and the capability to print addresses on a resume envelope (9.5X12)
Not that important, but it would also be nice to have dual sided printing and scanning.
Is there a printer that can do all this and doesn't brake the bank?

Thanks for any help
I believe you can get a unit with an ADF feeder and scan legal via the sheet feeder.
This should include the Canon mp530, mp830, mx700, mx850. Keep in mind there is a loss of quality when printing in duplex mode on the Canons. I prefer to manually duplex. I'll have to see if the Canons support duplex scanning.

But 9.5x12? I'm not aware of an a3 (11 inches wide) AIO that won't break the bank. There is the Brother MFC-6490CW (Uk 6690CW). It's $300 but it doesn't support duplex printing. AFAIK it has a 11x17 inch scan bed and prints the same.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Whoops... missed the bit about the envelopes... The L7000 series won't run to those and I've only ever found the A3 format printers capable.

You might want to think laterally and consider printing on labels which you then affix to the envelopes.. Lot easier and cheaper.

Data

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Good info so far, thank you.
It's amazing how the price changes for these extra couple of inches of scanning capabilities.

ADF feeder for scanning sounds good. I looked at the mx850 before, but could only find it at amazon and they can ship in two weeks :(
I will start searching for a printer that has this ADF feeding thingy.
Are the mp530, mp830, mx700, mx850 the only once? which would be the best below $200.00?
The mp830 seems to be an older model than the mx850, but is more expensive, why would that be? I can't find a difference in what it can do.

With the envelopes, I'll do what websnail suggested and use labels.

Thanks

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Data said:
Good info so far, thank you.
It's amazing how the price changes for these extra couple of inches of scanning capabilities.

ADF feeder for scanning sounds good. I looked at the mx850 before, but could only find it at amazon and they can ship in two weeks :(
I will start searching for a printer that has this ADF feeding thingy.
Are the mp530, mp830, mx700, mx850 the only once? which would be the best below $200.00?
The mp830 seems to be an older model than the mx850, but is more expensive, why would that be? I can't find a difference in what it can do.

With the envelopes, I'll do what websnail suggested and use labels.

Thanks
$300 for an a3 printer and scanner is actually pretty reasonable. The starting price on a3+ (13x19) is pretty much $300 in it self. That's the Epson 1400 which isn't really a document printer. If you really need to print on 12 inch wide envelopes, and don't want to use labels, expect the price to be about $300. If you're printing in bulk, those labels do get spendy after a while, we're talking a penny a piece spendy. You'd only be likely to break even after 5000 prints presuming two labels per envelope. Even presuming 5 cents, 1 tiny one 2x4 label, 2000 envelopes is the break even point. If you're going for this sort of volume, consider the big arse printer.

As for the mp830 costing so much, it's supply and demand mostly. I bought mine a month ago for $150. You can still find it on buy.com as a referb for $100. It has a CCD scanner, rather than a Contact Image Sensor (CIS). I doubt that's the issue with the price, the main issue with the price is there are few left. I'll have to test duplex scanning on mine.

The mx850 is of course a newer model and adds medium sized nozzles for photo printing, text is identical between these two models. It also has network on board. The only drawback is it uses a CIS scanner. The big difference is depth of field, you can scan objects on a CCD scanner and have some depth. CIS scanners are far cheaper to produce.

But needless to say prices don't always make sense.

Data

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought a MP620 and I'm extremely happy with it.
Wireless setup was a breeze, I finally can print from my laptop in the living room and all three computers in my house can use it.
Scanning works fast too.

Since I was at it, I also bought a MX850 for my wife's office.
It's under the Christmas tree and therefore I have not tried it out yet.
The scanning of the few legal papers, that I need to do, can be done on this one.

Thank you all for your input.

I just found my first problem, but will start a new threat for that.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
IGExpandingPanda said:
I'll have to test duplex scanning on mine.
Have duplex scanned several times. Worked perfectly for me.

Probably pick up a refurb MP830 as a spare too. Best All-In-One I've used.