Leaving the printer permanently switched on

martin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
On receiving a non-OEM cartridge recently, an enclosed note advised leaving ink-jet printers permanently switched on as a way to minimise head blockage. It was claimed that the electrical charge at the nozzle, present only when the printer is on, helps to reduce exposure of the ink at the nozzle to air. Of course, they also advocated regular use of the printer as well. The power consumed in this mode is minimal, they claim. I asked them if this applied to all ink-jet printers because I understand there is more than one way of ejecting the ink and they replied that it did.

On the face of it, it sounds reasonable to me. but I would appreciate other views.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
That's a very interesting idea, especially regarding the electrical charge at the nozzle. I'd like to see a bit of documentation / test on the idea before I commit to leaving my printer on all the time.

On the other hand, the "regular use of the printer" is definitely one, if not the best idea I've heard. Neil advises a full page of color every day. Personally I think that much ink isn't necessary (of course it won't hurt). What I do is to run a nozzle check pattern as often as I can remember, preferably every day if possible. The ink usage is minimal, but guarantees that every inkjet / printhead nozzle is fired at least a few times. This also allows me to see any blockage hopefully before it gets too bad.

Keep us posted on other finding you come across regarding this and other methods to prolong our printers.

By the way, I'm hoping to build a "plug" with a built in multimeter so I can simply plug my electronic equipment into the metered plug to determine the power consumption during rest, usage, etc.

printerenquirer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
you could plug it into an 12volt inverter with a meter on it to see how much output is being used by any product provided the wattage rating is on or below the output of the inverter, mind you you would need to have the inverter rigged up to a leisure battery 12volt deep cycle battery but it might be a funny way of going round it all im used to doing it though as i have a camper van convertion and inside i have travel tvs and laptops for work and all the stuff, i thought that stand alone printers was a marvelous idea when they came out it means you do not need to run a laptop while using them which saves a lot of power especially when your mobile, does anyone else do mobile printing. some people say to me how do you get all that electricity into a van using that battery, well u can with an inverter preferably a pure sine wave inverter as a modified one can damage your printer, so if printing is important to anyone and helps to bring in a way of life and you think you havent got the time of day to do all the things you would wish because you have to be at work, and you cant be at home at the same time to print, just think inverter, and go do some printing in your car or the middle of a field or something, just print print print lol

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To measure current the meter has to be in series with the equipment and must be able to stand the current flow the equipment uses. If it represents any resistance at all it could get hot. Most multimeters are short use devices you really need a dedicated meter, they can be expensive. Also consider your insurance with electrical devices that are not built to electrical standards

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I asked Canon about this once and they emphatically replied, "Either way, make no difference."
I tend to leave my Canon(s) on...wife turns hers off. Doesn't seem to matter.

At least one page text and one page full color per week minimum has been advised to keep the printhead clear.