Just refilled the magenta in a 901 hp cartridge and suddenly lost the cyan and yellow!

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
I just had yellow and cyan printing fine so then I refilled the magenta, ran a nozzle cleaning, and now cyan and yellow don't print and magenta is getting everywhere. Obviously I put too much magenta in there but how did it cause the cyan and yellow to stop printing?
20200821_182417.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The problem is caused by overfilling the magenta section of the cartridge. To prevent ink leaking out through the print head it is absorbed in sponges and the printhead must actively suck the ink from the sponge. The sponges have a limited capacity and if they are overfilled they can no longer prevent ink leakage. So magenta ink leaked through the magenta nozzles and onto a rubber cap or similar in the cartridge parking place. This leaked ink crept up in the nozzles for the other colours and caused cross contamination. It might be possible to open the cartridge and wash the sponges and flush the nozzles and refill the cartridge. But re-priming the nozzles after flushing to get the cartridge working again is not easy. I have opened and cleaned Canon and HP cartridges and cleaned and refilled them, but the chance of success is well below 50% I think.

I recommend buying a new or remanufactured cartridge and preferably the XL version.