Just refilled some rechipped 520/1s....

ipfken

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Having just refilled these recently acquired carts (and rechipped them for use in my ip4850) am surprised that on a couple the reservoir level sank to zilch in no time flat without them being used. Never seen a reservoir empty so quick. Top-filled and with only a little leakage as one would expect. Is this a sign of a knackered cart or just a very dry sponge? :/

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ipfken said:
Having just refilled these recently acquired carts (and rechipped them for use in my ip4850) am surprised that on a couple the reservoir level sank to zilch in no time flat without them being used. Never seen a reservoir empty so quick. Top-filled and with only a little leakage as one would expect. Is this a sign of a knackered cart or just a very dry sponge? :/
It sounds like there's some form of air leak around the fill hole...

I'd recommend getting some aluminium tape from a DIY store and using that to ensure the plugs are fully installed and seal against any air leaks.

I'd also go with leaving the cartridges uninstalled but orientated as if they were (over something to catch any ink obviously!) so you could see if any ink was dripping out. That would be a good indicator of any air leaks... Perhaps try this with one of the cartridges with just the plugs before you use any tape just to see if this is indeed what's happening.

ipfken

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Don't think it is an issue with leaking as so little came out....thinking on the line that the sponge was totally dried and therefore quick to absorb all the ink I put into the reservoir. Tomorrow I'll take off the seal and fill again and see what happens. Hey ho, at least it keeps me away from the TV!:)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
:) Keep us posted...

As for the TV... nothing of interest there except a bunch of MP's obviously picked for their complete lack of sense, focus and willingness to fudge a bunch of important questions...

... actually... nothing on TV..

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Don't need to pick them.

Close your eyes and select any of them and get the same result :D:lol::)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
How, exactly, do you top fill? Do you seal the air vent hole while you top fill?