Just ordered a canon mx850

Pattyannr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
to replace my mp780 that I just loved.
The MP780 however gives me the message "wrong cartridge" and I have tried cleaning the printhead but it did not work. A new print head is over $50 on ebay and that still might not clear up the problem from what I have read, so just bought the mx850 because I understand the tanks are a bit bigger than the newer models.

With the MP780 I was able to buy cheap cartridges because they had no chip so I have no experience refilling tanks. I have been reading all I can find on the mx850 and understand that I will need to deal with the chips by paying through the nose for new tanks with the chips, removing chips from original tanks and gluing them on after market tanks, or buying a CIS system. I have also read some info on chip resetters, and I have also read info about now having to disable printer from readiing tanks??? This is all very confusing for someone who never had to refill before and am hoping for some basic advice from some of you experts that are familiar with the MX850.

I would truly appreciate any advice on refilling/dealing with chip for a novice, is CIS good or should I learn to change chips?
Do I need a solder? Do I need a resetter? Sneaky canon sticking a chip on the tanks when I had my head turned..................

Thank you very, very, much.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Good choice..the MX850 has turned out to be one of Canon's better recent printers, according to customer surveys. You were wise to buy one now, as they will soon be gone from the market.

If you plan on refilling, you WILL need a chip resetter but after some practice, you will find these very easy to refill. If you don't want to refill, there are inexpensive compatibles around now, and they are still dropping slowly in price.

Welcome to this forum - you will find many people willing to help in any way they can.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Pattyannr said:
to replace my mp780 that I just loved.
The MP780 however gives me the message "wrong cartridge" and I have tried cleaning the printhead but it did not work.
Take all the ink cartridges out and remove the printhead. Use a eraser to clean the printhead contacts.

Pattyannr said:
With the MP780 I was able to buy cheap cartridges because they had no chip so I have no experience refilling tanks. I have been reading all I can find on the mx850 and understand that I will need to deal with the chips by paying through the nose for new tanks with the chips, removing chips from original tanks and gluing them on after market tanks, or buying a CIS system. I have also read some info on chip resetters, and I have also read info about now having to disable printer from readiing tanks??? This is all very confusing for someone who never had to refill before and am hoping for some basic advice from some of you experts that are familiar with the MX850.

I would truly appreciate any advice on refilling/dealing with chip for a novice, is CIS good or should I learn to change chips?
Do I need a solder? Do I need a resetter? Sneaky canon sticking a chip on the tanks when I had my head turned..................

Thank you very, very, much.
Chip resetter:
You need chip resetter if you want MX850 to monitor the ink level. You can override the monitor function. Then, your have to monitor the ink level yourself. Otherwise, you are running the risk of running out of ink and damage the printhead.

Move chips:
If you are using compatible cartridges without chip, you need to move it to the new cartridge.
If you are refilling empty cartridge with chip, you do not need to move the chip.

Refill:
Search this forum on refilling PGI-5 and CLI-8 cartridges.

Pattyannr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies.
I tried the eraser a couple of times but it did not solve the problem, it still says wrong cartridge. I am going to miss this printer, especially since I still have a ton of cartridges for her. The canon I had before her took the same tanks which led me to buy the MP780, no such luck this time!

Moving and gluing or soldering sounds like a hassle. I think re-filling the tanks that already have chips sounds easiest. Do the chips malfunction after a while? Does anyone have an opinion on the CIS systems? Bad? Good? Asking for trouble?
Thank you again.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Pattyannr said:
Thank you both for your replies.
I tried the eraser a couple of times but it did not solve the problem, it still says wrong cartridge. I am going to miss this printer, especially since I still have a ton of cartridges for her. The canon I had before her took the same tanks which led me to buy the MP780, no such luck this time!

Moving and gluing or soldering sounds like a hassle. I think re-filling the tanks that already have chips sounds easiest. Do the chips malfunction after a while? Does anyone have an opinion on the CIS systems? Bad? Good? Asking for trouble?
Thank you again.
I have not seen a CIS system for the PGI-5/CLI8 cartridges. If there is one, it will be difficult to install because the MX850 open only 45 deg. Therefore, you cannot look straight down into the printer. It is not like iP4500 easy access after the cover is open.

Anyone know a way to open the MX850 pass the 45 deg without dissembling the unit? I like to know because it will be handy if I can look straight down.

Pattyannr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I saw these on ebay

Item number 160330329783 and 120402984980

There are quite a few on ebay.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Pattyannr said:
I saw these on ebay

Item number 160330329783 and 120402984980

There are quite a few on ebay.
Ask the seller for the installation instruction for the MX850 and judge for yourself on how easy is to install it because the MX850 only open 45 deg.