just did my first refill on pixma ip4500...whats next?

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That's the odd thing...If I go through a clean cycle before I print my prints comes out ok. (It seems to clog if I don't use it for a day or two so I am forced to do a clean cycle everyday) This leads me to think it has something to do with the ink I'm using(hobbicolors ink) rather than a flow problem. This is the first refill on this cartridge.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I have refilled several PGI-5Bk cartridges for a bunch of people and some are now refilled for more than 5 times. The cartridges still function exceptionally well without the slightest flow problem and clogging. The KMP pigment ink, used to refill these cartridges, is really very good. Not only is the text quality razorsharp and deep black, but the flowing properties allows the cartridges to refilled several times without the slightest clog or causing flow problems.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Did you try the test I mentioned--print a page of solid black? I do this by placing a sheet of black paper on the scanner and doing a black copy. Or you can print a page of black from your computer. Sometimes it takes up to six pages of black printing for the problem to show up. As I mentioned before, the problem can have more than one cause so this is the reason for printing so many pages. Try printing six pages of black after you have done a cleaning cycle and I think you will find that you don't have to wait a day or two.

I doubt if the problem is Hobbicolors ink but the only way you're going to determine if it is the ink or the cartridge is to try more cartridges and preferably some that have been purged. You need to see if you can blow air into the air vent and have ink (or water) flow easily out the outlet port.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
vallejoboy

pharmacist I have refilled several PGI-5Bk cartridges for a bunch of people and some are now refilled for more than 5 times. The cartridges still function exceptionally well without the slightest flow problem and clogging. The KMP pigment ink, used to refill these cartridges, is really very good. Not only is the text quality razorsharp and deep black, but the flowing properties allows the cartridges to refilled several times without the slightest clog or causing flow problems
I to have KMP black ink in my 3eBK cartridge, its a real joy to use no clogs, no streaks in the text, no unnecessary cleaning cycles and I dont have to leave the printer on all the time. Only one other black ink I know performs the same (Canon) and I cant afford to use that. :)

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
vallejoboy said:
That's the odd thing...If I go through a clean cycle before I print my prints comes out ok. (It seems to clog if I don't use it for a day or two so I am forced to do a clean cycle everyday) This leads me to think it has something to do with the ink I'm using(hobbicolors ink) rather than a flow problem. This is the first refill on this cartridge.
It sounds like a leaking BCI-3ebk cartridge to me. The leak is probably extremely slow. Check your print head surface after the printer has sit for a day or at least for a few hours. It should be fairly dry. If there is a small pool of ink on the surface it is the proof of a leaking cartridge. The pool of ink on the print head surface is blocking off the nozzles. If you run a cleaning cycle the print head surface is wiped clean by a plastic blade. That's why the printer prints fine right after a cleaning cycle. But after sitting for a while some ink leaks out and forms a small pool again. When you print you will see streaking.

This forum used to have quite a few discussions about this problem. How come it is already forgotten?

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Did you try the test I mentioned--print a page of solid black? I do this by placing a sheet of black paper on the scanner and doing a black copy. Or you can print a page of black from your computer. Sometimes it takes up to six pages of black printing for the problem to show up. As I mentioned before, the problem can have more than one cause so this is the reason for printing so many pages. Try printing six pages of black after you have done a cleaning cycle and I think you will find that you don't have to wait a day or two.

I doubt if the problem is Hobbicolors ink but the only way you're going to determine if it is the ink or the cartridge is to try more cartridges and preferably some that have been purged. You need to see if you can blow air into the air vent and have ink (or water) flow easily out the outlet port.
I tried printing a solid black page and then copying it 6 times as you have said but I can't see any white streaks, all I see is uneven black streaks.

Here is a scan of the 6th page. Don't mind the ripple as I printed on regular paper and I didn't let it dry when I copied it.:D

solidblackscan.jpg

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
leo8088 said:
It sounds like a leaking BCI-3ebk cartridge to me. The leak is probably extremely slow. Check your print head surface after the printer has sit for a day or at least for a few hours. It should be fairly dry. If there is a small pool of ink on the surface it is the proof of a leaking cartridge. The pool of ink on the print head surface is blocking off the nozzles. If you run a cleaning cycle the print head surface is wiped clean by a plastic blade. That's why the printer prints fine right after a cleaning cycle. But after sitting for a while some ink leaks out and forms a small pool again. When you print you will see streaking.

This forum used to have quite a few discussions about this problem. How come it is already forgotten?
So its the cartridge? I have an extra cartridge but the chip is damaged so I will try to switch the chip so I can see if its the cartridge. I did mention I'm having problems with a PGI-220 right?;) The symptoms I was having were similar to the other people in this thread so I thought I would post here (but as mentioned by ghwellsjr the problem has many causes.)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It's not an ink flow problem from the cartridge. If you printed six pages of solid black with no white streaks showing up, then the cartridge is definitely able to deliver lots of ink.

In post #9 you mentioned a problem with streaks on text showing up after not using your printer for a couple days. Did you mean black streaks or white streaks? Are you still having this problem? If you wait a couple days and you print a page of solid black, does it print like the above image or does it have white streaks?

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr

In Post #9 I was referring to white streaks on text that's if I don't print anything for a day or two. Unfortunately I can't give you a scan of a print with text which shows the problem because I can't recreate the problem, I have to wait a couple of days :( If I have the white streaking on text and I try to print a nozzle check it comes out with a missing lines on the PGBK like this:

MissingPGBKlines.jpg

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Was this nozzle check done before when you had the problem with white streaks on text or was it done after you did the pages of black printing?

If you do repeated nozzle checks now, do they always look identical or are different segments missing?

I would not do any more printing, except nozzle checks, while you have nozzles that are not printing.