Just bought a new printer

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma E510, Pixma G2010
Hi,
I had posted previously about my old Canon Pixma E510 whose cartridge had run out and spares were not available. I had refilled it and unfortunately the black is working but the colour cartridge stopped printing blue and magenta.
So I had to get a new printer that has an InkTank built in and has good reviews from most of its users who I know. The model is Pixma G2010.
Now the thing is that it came with 1 black and 6 colour inks ( 2 each of C, M & Y) because of an in-store offer. The ink Model is Gi-790
I print pretty less. Maybe 5-6 prints per week.
So the inks will last me for pretty long. The store said that since the colour one's are dye ink storing them in a closed cool place will make them to be usable even after 2-3 years.
The printer is a 12/2021 Manufacture so I guess the Inks should be the same.

So will it be wise to keep them considering Canon keeps discontinuing inks for some slightly older models or should I sell them off for some extra cash?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So will it be wise to keep them
If you need the cash then sell the spare ink bottles and if you don’t then hold on to them till you need them yourself, it’s always good to have spare stock.. You decide..

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you need the cash then sell the spare ink bottles and if you don’t then hold on to them till you need them yourself, it’s always good to have spare stock.. You decide..
I can hold on to them. Not in that need of cash. May also buy a black one just in case.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I print pretty less. Maybe 5-6 prints per week.
Just keep that printing frequency, and I would expect that inks will be available for quite a while, and if not you can quite easily use similar Canon inks from other Megatank models, just keep a set of empty bottles in that case.

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just keep that printing frequency, and I would expect that inks will be available for quite a while, and if not you can quite easily use similar Canon inks from other Megatank models, just keep a set of empty bottles in that case.
The Color inks may be same but will the Black pigment inks be the same? There is a Gi-71 that I bought for refilling my old PG-88 cartridge but @The Hat said that they are Matte Pigment Black and mine are Photo Pigment Black (Gi-790).

Attachments

• IMG_20220311_010320.jpg
    IMG_20220311_010320.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 125

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You could print with both a matte or a photo black pigment ink on matte papers incl copy paper, the matte ink may deliver a slightly better black level, but the is rarely visible in normal applications. You cannot print with a matte black pigment ink on glossy papers, the pigments don't adhere to the paper and can be wiped off, but be aware that there is still the driver in between, that switches off the pigment black anyway as soon as you select a glossy paper, that's what happens on about every 4-color inkjet printer - Canon or Epson, black is mixed from the CMY inks in that case.

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Got a good scare today lol.

The ink from the Black tube had gone back.
Was thinking of doing an Ink Flush and was pissed that this happened to a 5day old printer.
IMG_20220315_134326.jpg

Searched the internet for nearly an hour and everyone suggested an ink flush.
Decided to call Canon Authorised Service tech and he said don't do an ink flush as it will use lots of ink and will saturate the waste ink pad early. Rather do a Deep Cleaning. It will consume much less ink and problem will be solved. Lol he was right, the ink was back in the tube.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The ink from the Black tube had gone back.
What did you do - what happened that the black ink tube was running empty, that is quite unusual under normal cirumstances.

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
What did you do - what happened that the black ink tube was running empty, that is quite unusual under normal cirumstances.
I did nothing that would have made the ink go back. Yesterday I had moved the printer a little bit (maybe a few cm's) to install a nylon dust cover on top of it but that shouldn't have made the black tube to lose ink. The last time I printed was day before yesterday.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm a kind of irritated that the black ink tube ran empty with no apparent reason; keep an eye on it to monitor if that happens again.