Is there a detailed CMS setup guide for the Pro9000 Mk.II?

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The setup panels for the Pro9000.2 (driver v2.28 in Windows) are a lot more complicated (IMO) than the ones I'd been used to for Epson printers. Is there a guide that shows what selections to make in all of the printer configuration panels to get a proper ICM managed solution through Photoshop? I know how to do the PS part - been doing that for years. I'm not sure how to set up the printer side of things with this new beast.

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks once again. I see you're using Qimage. I'm assuming that no Canon set-up panel changes would be needed for Photoshop as an alternative? I have to believe that's true, since the Canon panel setup should just make the printer "ICM controllable" from any normal ICM capable graphics program.

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Mikling, what are your thoughts on Linear Tone? I've read that this is a better option for getting accurate color. Will this have any effect if I set Color Matching to None?

And what about the Color Management panel that shows the display ICC? Should I unheck "Use my settings for this device"?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Uuuh the profiles are made with those settings and no more "messing around is necessary" to get great output. Follow the instructions use the correct profile made for the specific paper and ink combination and output issues are gone. Now you can focus on your pictures, composition and other skills.

If you deviate from what is presented you are on your own. Again I repeat it is not necessary. If you are using OEM inks then use OEM profiles with OEM papers and OEM inks or profiles supplied by the specific paper mfr with the OEM inks. Most of those options are much costlier to implement. So you have choices.

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Mikling, I'm not trying to do something that is inconsistent with proper Color Managed output. I've been doing this for many many years with Espon printers. I was just not sure if any of these other settings needed to be set differently in this case (this is my first time dealing with Canon's printer setup panels, which are not quite the same as Epson's). The Linear was questioned only because some mention was made in the photo-i.co.uk review of an overly red cast which was improved by this setting, but when I reread the review it seems that this came into play only for a non application managed mode. (http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Canon Pro 9000/page-4.html)

As to the Color Management panel, I just wanted to make sure this wouldn't cause double profiling if I left it as is for app managed ICM.

In any event, the initial test prints using your instructions looked just about spot on, with maybe just slightly more accurate output on the app side when set to Relative Colorimetric vs. Perceptual. My thanks for the work you've done to help. Cheers!