Is there a decent ePrint HP?

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Once upon a time HP ruled the world of printers and were renowned for having the best printers in the land
Then one day they became cr*p and haven't looked back

ePrint, the ONLY reason why I need is that I buy for people because they can print directly from email without a PC connected (just need internet connection)

ALL of the HP's I've tried just damn suck!
Noisy. Cluncky. Big. Ugly. Super rubbish printing. Slow to print. Slow to damn start up.

+ How easy are the carts to refill?

Thanks

Omar

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Is that a HP only feature? Cause otherwise why would yoiu still want what you yourself has called crap.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
Is that a HP only feature? Cause otherwise why would yoiu still want what you yourself has called crap.
yes, only a feature of hp: a standalone printer that prints emails without being connected to any other device
i guess they have a patent - it just sucks for the rest of the world
let me know if i'm wrong and if u know of other printers that can do the same
i *hate* HP!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OM2 said:
i guess they have a patent - it just sucks for the rest of the world
let me know if i'm wrong and if u know of other printers that can do the same
i *hate* HP!
Thats a coincidence, so do I..? :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't understand why the ability to print mails without being connected to a computer is such a great feature? :idunno

If your computer is not powered on, do you then have to print your mails to read them? or can they be read from a small LCD display on the printer?

I would prefer reading my mails from the computer and its larger monitor. I can then decide to keep or delete the mails. I only print out mails on rare occasions, such as tickets bought online or if the mail is needed for documentation.

The HP 364/564 cartridges are similar to PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges, also opaque. I refilled a set of these HP cartridges without problems by using the top fill method and a wooden cocktail stick as a dipstick to gauge ink levels, but no resetter is available and you cannot see ink levels in opaque cartridges.

I recently salvaged a HP Photosmart B209 which I am trying to repair. It suffers from inkflow problems. These printers are somewhat similar to Canon printers, and I know it isn't fair to compare a troubled HP to a Canon in perfect working order; I will not call the HP crap, but I think that even the newer Canon printer and their cartridges are a better quality.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
I don't understand why the ability to print mails without being connected to a computer is such a great feature? :idunno

If your computer is not powered on, do you then have to print your mails to read them? or can they be read from a small LCD display on the printer?

I would prefer reading my mails from the computer and its larger monitor. I can then decide to keep or delete the mails. I only print out mails on rare occasions, such as tickets bought online or if the mail is needed for documentation.
for ur needs, maybe not good
but u sound like someone who'll never switch to wireless printers :p

not needing to install drivers is brilliant
unpack, plugin (register to the wifi network). that's it
u can now print word, pdf, jpg's just by sending an email

i have another purpose. i have order systems for kitchens
before, there needed to be a pc + printer
now, just need a printer

ok... so maybe the ability to print directly over the internet using an email isn't all that great
but, as i understand it (i think someone else said in a previous reply on this forum) hp have a patent that stop anyone else having the same
not the end of the world maybe

but imagine if hp held a patent for wifi printers and stopped ANY other manufacturer from making wifi printers
u'd only have a choice of crappy hp printers

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Canon also make wi-fi printers, they just don't have the email feature. I see that the email printing is a handy feature in special cases, but not for normal checking of mail.

I do have a wireless network, but I only use the wireless for connecting a laptop to the internet. My printers are connected to the computer in use with a USB cable. If I want to print from a laptop I also use a USB cable.

Installing drivers is normally only done rarely, so I don't see that as a problem. If you only need the printer driver and not the extra programs from Canon, you can let Windows update supply the driver over the net. It cant be much easier, and it is very quick. Microsoft finally got plug and play working.

If you only need the kitchen printer to receive printed order forms and two way communication is not needed, wouldn't a wi-fi printer from another manufacturer do just as well?

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
Canon also make wi-fi printers, they just don't have the email feature. I see that the email printing is a handy feature in special cases, but not for normal checking of mail.

I do have a wireless network, but I only use the wireless for connecting a laptop to the internet. My printers are connected to the computer in use with a USB cable. If I want to print from a laptop I also use a USB cable.

Installing drivers is normally only done rarely, so I don't see that as a problem. If you only need the printer driver and not the extra programs from Canon, you can let Windows update supply the driver over the net. It cant be much easier, and it is very quick. Microsoft finally got plug and play working.

If you only need the kitchen printer to receive printed order forms and two way communication is not needed, wouldn't a wi-fi printer from another manufacturer do just as well?
peter, u really should try wifi printers
u just don't appreciate how damn conveninet it is to be able to place a printer anywhere and not be tied up to wires

kitchen (a restaurant) receiving orders: the order is coming from the internet
any pother solution requires a pc to be attached

so i'l just have to stick with hp :(
one *great* thing is that the hp printers are NOISY AND CLUNCKY AND SHAKE when printing!!!!!!
i know i listed some of those things as being bad - but in a busy kitchen, having a monster in the corner suddenly come to life and sound as thought it's going to puke, makes sure that an order is never missed
lol

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I actually have two wifi printers, one Canon Pixma 5200R, which is okay exept for a bad printhead and A HP Photosmart B209 which I am trying to repair, the HP doesn't have the email print function though, only normal wifi. But I don't have the need for wireless printing.

The old teletype machines had a bell function, Maybe that is an idea for HP? :lol:

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
The old teletype machines had a bell function, Maybe that is an idea for HP? :lol:
don't understand the joke
maybe i'm just too young
lol