Is there a consensus on refilling PGI-9 carts for the Pro9500 MK II?

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
First, thanks everyone for an amazing resource. I wish I had discovered this site sooner.

After reading several threads, I'm confused as to the best way to go about refilling PGI-9 carts. This thread contains two recommendations for the German Durchstich method documented by Pharmacist here. Yet Pharmacist's method seems to be devised for carts that use sponges and I believe that the PGI-9's don't use sponges. Does this make a difference? Also, it looks from Pharmacist's tutorial that one doesn't actually need to recover the hole that one has drilled. Is this right?

The other recommendation that I came across was to drill the cartridge from the bottom and reseal with wax. Any reports on this?

I've been told that when one refills the PGI-9 carts, in the absence of a chip resetter (which only works for 8 of 10 colors) one has to disable ink level monitoring and override out of ink warnings. Earlier today, I held down the flashing amber light (2nd of the three buttons) for a few seconds in the hope that the printer would allow me to proceed. But no luck. Can anyone confirm that the Pro9500 Mark II allows the user to override the low or out of ink warnings. If so, what is the trick?

Assuming that the carts are refillable, my plan is to proceed with ink from . Does anyone know how these inks compare to what e-fill inks sells. Between the double set of new cartridges and (I think) larger sizes, I'm looking at $768 experiment as opposed to a $140 one with Inkjet carts. I'm not so much concerned about slight deviations from Canon's colors, as I create my own profiles in SpyderColor

Finally, Colorbat is selling pigment versions of their Hideous Hooch for Canon printers for $9 per 4 oz. bottle. Does anyone have any experience with the Colorbat inks on a Pro 9500?

Thanks again for your help and congrats on your community.

All the best,

IM

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Canon pro9500 do allow you to disable ink indicator so you should not worry.
German method do not apply for PGI-9 cart. I have some Valve Plugs left and almost to make the hole to use it for refill then I saw recommended from Prima just drop by drop the ink though outlet port and I very like it. Thank to Prima.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5336

The process go very quick and remember the cart only take 14ml so you don't overfill it. Only thing i concern is air bubble which is major issue when i refill Epson cart. but i think the sponge on outlet port will act as a filter to stop the air bubble . I been refill twice now and use for couple of weeks and did not see anything wrong or clog yet .

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
InkMiser

I started the idea of the hole in the bottom of the PGI-9 because theres no other easy way of filling the cartridge.
The method is simple and works 100% of the time with no leaks + its very fast too.
To disable the ink monitoring, wait till the printer stops and read the on screen massage then it should work (hold for 5 Seconds).
I would not recommend using anything other than OEM cartridges with this printer as 3rd party cartridges cant match the output of OEMs.
If you are buying ink from inkjetcarts.us just make doubly sure that you are buying ALL pigment inks and not dye ink, also pigment ink is usually dearer that dye ink.
The filling method described by Prima works well but it takes ages to fill a single cartridge...:|

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
siusiuenen

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try Prima's method. My concern is that it sounds like trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube and I'm already a klutz where these things are concerned. I wonder if one could improvise a system of heavy binder clips to hold the cartridges upside down and attach a mini-funnel to each of the outlet holes, allowing a measured amount of ink (say 10 ml) to seep into each cartridge simultaneously? Maybe this is overkill...

One follow-up question, you wrote that the Pro9500 allows one disable ink monitoring. Is there any chance that Canon removed this feature with the Mark II model?

Thanks again for the feedback.

IM

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
InkMiser

I started the idea of the hole in the bottom of the PGI-9 because theres no other easy way of filling the cartridge.
The method is simple and works 100% of the time with no leaks + its very fast too.
To disable the ink monitoring, wait till the printer stops and read the on screen massage then it should work (hold for 5 Seconds).
I would not recommend using anything other than OEM cartridges with this printer as 3rd party cartridges cant match the output of OEMs.
If you are buying ink from inkjetcarts.us just make doubly sure that you are buying ALL pigment inks and not dye ink, also pigment ink is usually dearer that dye ink.
The filling method described by Prima works well but it takes ages to fill a single cartridge...:|
The Hat

I'm comfortable drilling carts as I did that for years with my i960 and 6000D -- no need to even remove them from the printer! I believe that you wrote that you plugged the holes in the base of the carts with wax. Sorry to be dense but is this ordinary white candle wax that you pressed into place before it was completely hard? The next time I refill, will I just pick it out, doing my best to make sure that none of it falls into the cartridge? Does it matter where in the base one drills the hole?

When you write "read the on screen message", I assume you're referring to the low or out of ink message I see on my Mac, since the Pro9500 Mark II doesn't have any kind of on-screen display. (I'm asking on the outside chance that the Pro9500 has one.)

I see that you got your resetter from Efillink for about $20. I've visited their site and can't find any Canon resetters. They only seem to stock Epson. I believe that I've read on this forum that resetters for CLI-8 carts will work on 8 out of 10 of the PGI-9 carts. Does this sound right? Does your resetter look anything like this one? (This may actually be worth a new thread.)

Thanks for your patience. I'm normally into experimenting and trial and error but this time I need to line up my ducks before starting a new project.

IM

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat

A quick follow-up to my previous series of questions. I just found your post with photos showing the correct location to drill the cartridge. You mentioned using a hot glue gun to fill the hole. Is it ok to keep drilling out the hardened glue? A few months later, you mentioned using hot wax? Is this the same as using a glue gun or did your method evolve?

Thanks,

IM

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
InkMiser

Firstly the hot glue gun uses wax sticks and melts them to a liquid for use. ;)
By placing a dab of glue (wax) over the hole and blowing it dry, it can be removed later by putting a retractable blade or pen knife just under the wax nipple and with a lifting motion the wax comes off very easily.
If a small amount of wax happens to drop inside the cartridge theres no harm done it wont affect the operation of that cartridge in any way.
As you have found the Pics on the other thread you know where to drill the hole, but the position is the most important followed by the depth of the hole.
Drill into the first letter (P) as close to the centre of the cartridge and only to a depth of 5 or 6 mm no more, reset the cartridge before you drill and refill to avoid any spills.
Put the little orange shoe back on to the cartridge to stop the sponge from drying while not in use, also you should shake the bulk ink bottle before you use it everytime.
Store the unused cartridges upside down and remember to shake the cartridge before installing it in the print head, all pigment inks need to be agitated occasionally.
The resetter to use is the blue one ( YXD-R58e ) not the red one.
The screen message appears only on the computer screen not the printer as you said.
I fill my cartridges with 10ml of ink each time, which I find is an enough to avoid any spills + I usually fill as soon as the cartridge shows low ink so there is all way ink left in the cartridge..

Happy refilling.. :)

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat

Wow -- thanks so much!!! You've made a miser's day. :)

IM

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
InkMiser said:
siusiuenen

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try Prima's method. My concern is that it sounds like trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube and I'm already a klutz where these things are concerned. I wonder if one could improvise a system of heavy binder clips to hold the cartridges upside down and attach a mini-funnel to each of the outlet holes, allowing a measured amount of ink (say 10 ml) to seep into each cartridge simultaneously? Maybe this is overkill...

One follow-up question, you wrote that the Pro9500 allows one disable ink monitoring. Is there any chance that Canon removed this feature with the Mark II model?

Thanks again for the feedback.

IM
I have Mark II as well. I do have a same concern like you at first before i start to refill . Because i have only 1 set of cart. at that moment so i think it not hurt to try Prima' method . If it slow then i going to make the hole on the cart but i found it very quick to fill because the sponge on the outlet port absorb ink very quickly just like i fill directly though the hole. I actually can go with the same speed just like to refill cli-8 cart only differences is you have to hold the syringe steady or you going to make mess.

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@ The Hat
I really want to try the Valve Plugs to seal the hole because this going to make a permanent seal while you can fill the cart any time you want but i think it only good when the the wall thickness of the cart are no more than 4mm . I try it on cli-8 and it work out well . You said should make the hole 5-6mm deep is that the wall thickness ?