Is Refilling Cheaper than Using OEM INKS?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That depends on two key questions first.

(1) do you print a lot or intend to do lots of printing ?

(2) do you print very little or fun print occasionally ?

**Now for the occasional and fun printer guys the answer is a No, refilling would not be cheaper but you can get compatible pre-filled cartridge at a very reasonable price so you dont go broke buying OEMs carts.

For the compulsive and dedicated printer guys who cant get enough of printing and print everyday for the pleasure and enjoyment of it then the answer is definitely a Yes..

The very first initial investment into refilling can sometime seem very expensive to a first time refiller and can actually put them off the idea altogether because of the big outlays involved.

To refill properly youll have to have the bare minimum of items and that is usually 90% of the total cost straight away, but once you have that then your savings are going to be very very considerable.

** Occasional and fun printer guys can also refill their cartridges but it would take them longer to recoup their original outlay so it certainly would seem not worth it to them in the long run at all.

Make no mistake about it guys, if you try to refill on the cheap by cutting corners then it will cost you a lot more than just an occasional spill of ink and Technicolor surroundings, it may even cost you your printer as well.

So guys Happy Refilling to all you adventurers..

Footnote: - CISS are good but Refilling is much better.. :)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
The Hat said:
**Now for the occasional and fun printer guys the answer is a No, refilling would not be cheaper
Huh? Mine drinks ink just sitting there. Lots of ink. Maintenance cycles, you know. And if you somehow avoid the maintenance cycles, then the whole printer just dries up.

TheHat said:
The very first initial investment into refilling can sometime seem very expensive to a first time refiller and can actually put them off the idea altogether because of the big outlays involved.
:hu A set of cartridges costs me over $100. Equipment and a generous amount of refill supplies, maybe $40-50. You can also get small OEM cartridges, but those are way too expensive for what you get.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I totally agree with you, but for some its a case of all roundabouts and no swings, for most of us its a no brainer..

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
The Hat said:
That depends on two key questions first.

(1) do you print a lot or intend to do lots of printing ?

(2) do you print very little or fun print occasionally ?

**Now for the occasional and fun printer guys the answer is a No, refilling would not be cheaper .
I disagree. A set of Canon cartridges would cost me close to 70 euros. A refill kit from Oktoinkjet is cheaper and it contains 100 ml as opposed to 9 ml from Canon.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP640
Its not to clear to me what you're disagreeing with exactly, so could you be more pacific..

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Sorry, I mean that 'for the occasional and fun printer guys' refilling would not be cheaper. I don't think that's the case. As I stated, one Canon cartridge set would cost me close to 70 euros, whereas a refill set would be cheaper and contain about ten times as much ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP640 said:
Sorry, I mean that 'for the occasional and fun printer guys' refilling would not be cheaper. I don't think that's the case. As I stated, one Canon cartridge set would cost me close to 70 euros, whereas a refill set would be cheaper and contain about ten times as much ink.
In the case of some casual users when a cartridge becomes empty its cheaper for them
to get just the one cartridge than to pay out for a complete refill kit.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that refilling is by far the cheapest way but some guys dont want to spend a cent more than they have too, in short its false economy, so well have to be more convincing to win them over, dont you agree.. :)

Last edited:

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Maybe offtopic...

Before I started refilling, I used to replace only the cartridge with the low/empty ink level. After replacing a cartridge, the printer will perform a cleaning cycle. It has happened to me with my good old IP4300 that after the cleaning cycle incurred by a new cartridge , another cartridge needed replacement (which caused another cleaning cycle). And then another (with another cleaning cycle). At the end, the initially replaced cartridge was almost half empty from all the cleaning cycles. I learned it was better to also replace cartridges that were almost empty when replacing another cartridge.

Now, whenever one cartridge needs refilling, I refill and reset them all.

[/ot]

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP640 said:
Maybe offtopic...

[/ot]
Most certainly not.. :clap
A very good refilling policy indeed and one that everybody should take up or at least follow..:thumbsup

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
MP640 wrote:

Good idea. An extra bonus is that fewer priming cycles also prolongs the life of the ink absorbers. :D It is a messy job to change the absorbers and even messier to clean them if new are not available.