Is my printhead clean enough to reinstall?

gailstorm9

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX892
I cleaned, rinsed and dried my MX892 printhead but it still smells like Windex. Is it safe to reinstall or do I need to rinse it better and if so, how? I saw conflicting info about whether it's safe to rinse it under the tap so instead I let it sit in a very shallow bath of Windex for cleaning (plain water hadn't worked) and a few changes of distilled water for rinsing. I didn't get the contacts wet. I also carefully put Windex on the inlets a bunch of times with a syringe and then did the same with distilled water after ink stopped coming out.

I have a B200 error and nothing else worked. I know cleaning might not either but I figured it's worth a try. I've been using refilled OEM carts with Precision Colors ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@gailstorm9, Your print head is good to go, just use it anytime your ready but.

It still may not work because that B200 error is a bitch to clear using the same effected print head, could you beg, borrow or get a lend of another print head to use for just 5 minutes.

Another working head will wipe the memory chip in the printer and clear the current error message, even if the borrowed head has only nozzle damage it does not matter, because your not going to install the carts or print, it only needs to be in the printer for 10 seconds, the alternative is a new head, sorry..

gailstorm9

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX892
Thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately I don't have access to another print head. I've seen a variety of B200 clearing routines. Is there one you prefer?

Gail

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The B200 error is a dog’s body general error given when the printer doesn’t like something and doesn’t know what and it has fallen outside the coding remit, so it reacts with this error.

If you replace the current print head with another, the EPROM chip gets a reboot and completely forgets about the original error, now that does not mean there was something actually wrong with the old one.

The printer will accept the old print head again after the reboot, provided that there was nothing severely wrong with it in the first place and this error was cautionary given to save the head and cause you to send your printer for an unnecessary service, a new head would be cheaper..

gailstorm9

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX892
Thanks! Sorry if I'm slow but I guess that means there's no way to reboot the eprom without a new print head.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks! Sorry if I'm slow but I guess that means there's no way to reboot the eprom without a new print head.
No there isn’t I'm sorry, but then you’d have a spare head for the next time..

gailstorm9

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX892
OK, thanks for all your help.

Gail

gailstorm9

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX892
OK, so I got rid of the B200 error and started a printhead cleaning. In the middle of the cleaning it stopped, the printer turned itself off and now it won't turn back on. Any ideas?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK, so I got rid of the B200 error and started a printhead cleaning. In the middle of the cleaning it stopped, the printer turned itself off and now it won't turn back on. Any ideas?
Yes, you definitely need a new print head for sure..