Is my printer throw out the window material?

ramirezi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP PSC 1410 All in One
I recently posted about applying WD 40 to my printer and I thought everything was fine but it's still the same. I keep cleaning everything in my computer that I can get a Q-Tip on and it's printing worse. I am placing three pictures below. All taken from my phone. The first is todays test page after changing a cartridge (I am working with two new ones). The second is how it normally is printing up my book. It gives one sentence and then all garbled and the third picture is how it prints after the test page when it fools me into thinking my printer is fixed and even then, it's not perfect but at least readable. The point is to print up all my books so all I get is the #2 picture. Anybody know what's going on?
testpage.jpg

Yesterdaysprint.jpg

foolmeprint.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the timing/encoder strip is OK as the first line prints properly. Instead there seems to be a problem with the black cartridge. It looks like ink starvation. Notice the wedge shape of what should be black rectangles in the lines above and the line with yellow rectangles.

Ink starvation is a typical problem with refilled cartridges of this type. Sometimes the ink starvation is caused by an air bubble in the ink chamber above the printhead, A priming tool can sometimes successfully remove this iair bubble and make the cartridge work again.

Does "new cartridge" mean a never used cartridge from a freshly opened original HP box and foil bag? Or is the cartridge remanufactured/compatible/refilled? and how old are the cartridges? On the backside of the cartridge there is a expiry date in the format YYYY/MM/DD. The date is a warranty expire date. The cartridge doesn't stop working when it expires, but if the cartridge is 10 years old or more it probably won't work.

Last edited:

ramirezi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP PSC 1410 All in One
I think the timing/encoder strip is OK as the first line prints properly. Instead there seems to be a problem with the black cartridge. It looks like ink starvation. Notice the wedge shape of what should be black rectangles in the lines above and the line with yellow rectangles.

Ink starvation is a typical problem with refilled cartridges of this type. Sometimes the ink starvation is caused by an air bubble in the ink chamber above the printhead, A priming tool can sometimes successfully remove this iair bubble and make the cartridge work again.

Does "new cartridge" mean a never used cartridge from a freshly opened original HP box and foil bag? Or is the cartridge remanufactured/compatible/refilled? and how old are the cartridges? On the backside of the cartridge there is a expiry date in the format YYYY/MM/DD. The date is a warranty expire date. The cartridge doesn't stop working when it expires, but if the cartridge is 10 years old or more it probably won't work.

New cartridge as in I just purchased two new cartridges but not new from HP. Yes, they are refilled. The date on the cartridge is 12/19/06. It's too old? I will contact the seller and let them know. It's strange I have been using these kind of cartridges with no problems, until I applied the WD40. Then suddenly it had these issues. I cleaned the strip and everywhere I could inside the printer and it got better (as the pictures above) but not perfect. What is a priming tool? I know the method to put the ink over boiling water to get dried ink to work again.

Sorry I didn't respond. I never got a notification anyone replied.

I bought a new printer but I'm putting off connecting it in case I can get my original printer printing again. The new printer ask for the HP+ which limits how many pages I can print.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I still think the black cartridge is the cause of the problem. It looks like you are using remanufactured = commercially refilled cartridges. These cartridges are used as they have been used at least one time before. Normally they should be OK as the remanufacturer has better equipment and much more knowledge than the home refiller.

As a test tool I think that a new, never used before original HP cartridge is by far the best, even if it is expensive. The remanufactured cartridge might be faulty and home refilled cartridges are very likely to have inkflow problems due to airlocks. See this and the following post.

Here is a priming tool intended for the HP21 and HP22 cartridges. In some cases wicking out a little ink using a paper towel or handkerchief might clear the blockage and make the cartridge work again. This is worth trying before buying the priming tool.

Last edited:

ramirezi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP PSC 1410 All in One
I actually have those syringes for refilling cartridges myself and previously have gone through three remedies to fix ink not being released, which helped at the time but then I did the WD40 and messed it all up. I tried doing the cartridge over boiling water, just in case, but that didn't change anything since the ink wasn't plugged or dried out in the first place. I haven't seen the (priming tool) holder with a hole in it though.

I went and purchased an official HP Cartridge. Although it helped a lot, there's still a little problem. Here is a picture of what it's printing. I have also tried changing fonts to see if that fixes anything but it doesn't.

DocScan.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I notice that characters 10 to 12 positions from the left margin are fuzzy. This suggests to me that there is a problem with the timing strip at this position. It might be an ink stain, WD40 stain or a maybe a scratch. I suggest to examine the timing strip using a magnifier and good light, and to clean it once more.

ramirezi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP PSC 1410 All in One
I can try again. I have cleaned the heck outta that clear strip (I had to look up timing strip) and now the strip doesn't look too good as it did when I first cleaned it about a month ago. I cleaned it several times over three days. It was clear before, now it looks like it has spots on it (that cannot be removed). Is it possible I damaged this strip by constantly cleaning it (with Windex on cotton swabs) over three days?

Edit: I spent an hour cleaning everything again and spent a couple hours going over it again and again and it still prints the same. :confused:

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
"Timing strip" is a term used by Canon. HP might use the term "Position encoder strip" or "Encoder strip" instead.

I don't think the Windex has damaged the strip. Instead Hydrocarbons in the WD40 could have caused the matte spot that makes reading the position uncertain close to the left margin.

I tried searching for a replacement strip but found none. Maybe a strip from a same type or similar printer could be used? Maybe you could find a used and possibly defective printer to be used as a donor for free or very cheap at a flea market, thrift store or similar?

ramirezi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP PSC 1410 All in One
There is no point buying one for parts. The printer I currently have was made in 2005 and buying it used, which I refuse to do with a printer, cost more than a brand new printer with all the modern day bells and whistles. I bought a new printer at Costco but it's so bulky, I won't even unpackage it and will look for another printer like the one I have. Thanks for trying to help me.