Is my chip resetter bad or what is going on?

trashguy9

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, I am having problems with my Canon Pro 9000 and not recognizing some of my carts. I am refilling using all original Canon carts. I had my print head fail last week, don't know if it was ink starvation or not, but to be safer in the future, I decided to try refilling the carts before the low ink indicator comes on, as some have suggested here on this forum. Since I have started that practice I have refilled three carts that were getting pretty low. I reset the chip and put them back in the printer, but now I get the "not recognizing the cart" error on each of them. I can put another previously filled cart in and it works fine. This has happened to my Y, B and PM so far. I thought maybe my resetter went bad, but have reset the carts that work and they continue to work after resetting them. Only the carts that I pulled before being totally empty are having this problem. Shouldn't I be resetting them, if they are not empty or what is going on here? I even removed all the ink from the PM cart that wasn't recognized, thinking maybe the low ink warning would come up and maybe trigger something so I could reset again, but the printer wouldn't recognize it that way either.

Thanks for any help,
Larry

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I have a Pro9000 ll and refill the cartridges at various states of emptyness. I always reset the chips and have had no problems with any of them.

Make sure you are keeping the cartridges pressed into the resetter from the initial flash, until a couple of seconds of continuous illumination of the led in the cartridge.

Repeat resetting, if in doubt, does not seem to do any harm.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It can just be one of those things anything can go wrong, its a matter of discovering what and correcting it thats the hard bit.
As Emulator says you might not have held the problem cartridges in the resetter long enough to get a complete reset.

Try taking out a working cartridge that is currently in your printer and reset that to see if it shows up correctly
and if it does (It should) then do the same with the Y, B, and PM in turn.

Patients are your real friend here so take your time with the resetting and make sure by holding
the cartridge till the light stays on for 3 or 4 seconds then release it.

The level of ink in your cartridges has no bearing of the chips function but refill them before putting them back in your printer,
and always reset before refilling. :)

trashguy9

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have been holding the carts in the resetter for 5-10 seconds, but tried even longer just now, with the same result. I reset a working different color (partially full) as suggested and the cart was recognized after resetting, so I am really baffled right now. I have changed out the setter's battery with a fresh one (3 volt) and no change either. What I intend to try next is leaving one of the carts get empty enough for the low ink warning to come on and then reset/refill and see if that cart gets recognized. If so, then by resetting before the low ink warning somehow is messing me up or it may be my resetter is not doing anything, but not sure on that. Again, thanks for your help, Larry

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If the trouble carts are actually indicating by a flash followed by a steady red glow and other carts seem to reset fine, the only think I can think of is the chip has gone bad somehow or there is something not making full contact between the cart chip and the head. I had one OEM cart go bad on me after several reset cycles. I replaced it with an auto reset chip.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
Patients are your real friend here so take your time...
Erm? Did anyone else know that The Hat was a doctor?

Patience, patience... next you'll be prescribing wax plugs for glue ear :p :lol: :rolleyes:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
websnail said:
Patience, patience... next you'll be prescribing wax plugs for glue ear :p :lol: :rolleyes:
Haw bloody Haw, :hide just wait for your next enema.... :celebrate

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It "appears" that power line disturbances can take out cartridge chips for some unexplained reason. The chips will appear to reset ok but will not be accepted by the printer. I have noticed this on the Pro9000 and 9500. Not enough proof to be conclusive but a slight pattern exists. This is conjecture at this stage.

trashguy9

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have 50 empty carts coming from Ebay. When they get here I will reset and refill one of those and see if they reset. If not, then I know its my resetter (I think). Will report back. Thanks, Larry