Is Cartridge Refilling Dying?

Dean

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG 5660
Thankfully I am not one of the most people, ;) plus I like filling cartridges because it gives me a better understanding of a printer needs, I am still using pre-generation printers that have been refilled from day one...
Hi Roy
Sure mate I used to refill my cartridges also and yes I agree it can be rewarding and certainly saves you money. I guess I'm just a bit lazy and don't have the time to do refills nowadays. I can remember the old days when everyone was buying the Calidad refill kits with the inks and the needles and gloves. I would always not bother putting the gloves on as I would try and be careful but I always ended up with a multi coloured hand for about a week after. All good fun.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
Given the cost of OEM inks, and the work involved in refilling (not much, imho) I recently made the move to start doing it. Now since whatever I choose to do becomes unpopular, expect refilling to die...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Now since whatever I choose to do becomes unpopular, expect refilling to die...
I hear you! Orange highlighters, lemon Junket, shorts that don't hang below the knees, McDonald's fries cooked in animal fat, leaded gasoline, tube amplifiers and turntables, drug store soda fountains, too many tv shows to name, ...

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
... I am still using pre-generation printers that have been refilled from day one...

Those old generation printers are becoming scarce, worn-out, and spare parts (printheads) unavailable.

Every new printer generation becomes more difficult to refill, making the resetters, cartridges, chips ... more expensive.

The time you could reset the OEM carts delivered with the printer (no start-ups) with a 10-15 EUR resetter is long gone.
And when there is already a new generation of carts before the previous one has been decoded and resetters available (as with the Canon 570-571) who still will develop or buy refill equipment ?