Is auto bed levelling worth it?

Marcadian

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10 and TS8050
I have levelled the bed mechanically and re-levelling is only performed after bed removal / maintenance. This has worked very well for me.
You are right the z-axis moves accordingly as the print head moves around.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
You are right the z-axis moves accordingly as the print head moves around.
The way you use this is very convenient, but for the moment I'll stick with manual levelling. I'm just not sure I want to have the z-axis continually moving up and down by micro amounts while I'm printing. At least not when it's easy enough for me to manually level.

Thanks for the information

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
When using both my printers, I always adjust the bed when the project gets up to about 4mm high, I don’t know why that is, but once I make that adjustment I get a perfectly finished model, and would auto levelling do a better job. :hu
I like to start with a good squish... :thumbsup

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
When using both my printers
Some of us only have one printer, so we can't organise printer races. Which of yours wins?:D

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
It's where the firmware sees the temperature of the hot end has dropped so keeps heating it up, but what has actually happened is the thermistor has stopped working. So your house burns down:eek:

The current version of Marlin has a more sophisticated check and shuts down the printer if it thinks there's a problem.

It's a good feature to have for sure, unfortunately for us CR10 and CR10s owners Creality have not implemented it in their firmware even though it is there in the Marlin code :he