ip8750 is grey cartridge optional?

Brianw99

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
I have the Canon ip8750 printer bought in the UK. It is excellent. It has six cartridges including a grey. I read somewhere that the grey was optional but can find any info? Is this true please? It won't run with the grey empty or not in place.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
All the cartridges are needed for printing. Canon printers use thermal print heads, and these print heads need a steady supply of ink to cool the nozzle heaters. Without this cooling from the ink, the nozzle heaters risk burning out.

Maybe what was meant with remark about the optional grey cartridge was, that by buying one of the more expensive printer models, you get the extra grey cartridge that improves both B/W and colour prints according to Canon. Less expensive models don't have the grey cartridge.

Brianw99

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
It was a cartridge supply place and the standard Canon pack for this particular printer is 5 inks and doesn't include grey. Which is why I asked. But looking at it, the CLI-551 inks may be for a series of printers which don't have grey. So yes I understand a grey cartridge must be fitted. Thanks.