Ip8500 vs. MP780 (ip4200)

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have been using my mp780 for printing text for some time. Have put my 8500 aside accumulating dust for the past few weeks. Figured if I keep ignoring it the ink may dry up casuing problems. So I powered it up today and gave it a kick to wake it up. Found two tanks empty and most others half or near empty too. It's refill time again. So I topped up 6 tanks and left Red and Green half full still. Before doing anything I figured a cleaning cycle should be a good thing to do. The followed nozzle check did not disappoint me as I expected. Then I printed a 8x10 photo on a piece of Canon high resolution paper. It took 1 minute and 25 seconds. And the print is a dream. I won't say it blows away all the recent photos I printed on my mp780 but many who see it probably will.

I have had my 780 for about 6 months now. I am using the same bulk ink in both my 8500 and 780, except the 780 has an extra pigmented ink. The same picture would take just about 3 minutes to print on the 780. There is an obvious difference in the vibrancy of the colors between the two printers. The colors on the 8500 print are much richer and dynamic. You will feel the ink is thicker on the print. No wonder some say ip8500 and i9900 are ink guzzlers. I think it sprays more ink to print the photo.

Both ip8500 and MP780 are discontinued now and probably no longer available. There are some i9900 on the market still. It still demands a lot of money but it is definitely a dream printer to get. My 8500 was a christmas gift for myself almost two years ago. It still prints like day one when I got it. Now I don't think I like my 780 that much any more.