IP8500 prints with a green tint on color printing

cchiacch

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Canon IP8500 prints green tint on all color printing. Canon tells me it is the after market ink that I tried that messed up the printer head. Went back to "official expensive Canon" and am still having the problem. Any suggestions other than getting a new print head and if so suggestions to get one.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Did you use original Canon paper ? I'm using Hobbicolor ink and found out that on some types of photo paper (not Canon), there is a green tint on the photo's: grays look bluish or greenish rather than real neutral gray. When changing to original Canon paper the greenish tint disappears immediately. It was the paper and not the Hobbicolor ink !
Tetenal semi matte and photo glossy paper are also very good paper without a green stich.

cchiacch

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm using Kodak superior paper.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Are you double profiling? What software are you using to print photos? It is most likely a setup problem. If your printing software is doing a color management to print, and the Canon driver is also doing a color management you have a double profiling. You can turn off the color management in your printing software to see if it is the problem.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Could be that your magenta printhead is a little clogged - try running a nozzle check.

pharmacist's suggestion about the paper could also be the problem - When I use non-Epson paper in my Epson R220, it comes out with a green cast unless I choose Ultra Premium Photo Glossy paper. I also had this problem on my HP 1100D. The paper I used said to use 'the best possible setting', which I would assume to be HP Premium Plus paper on 4800 enhanced resolution, but this would create a green cast. This particular HP printer had settings for 'other' paper for almost every type (photo, brochure, matte, etc), which worked perfectly, but I haven't seen that kind of setting in most other printers, so you'll have to experiment.

The printer brand photo paper must have different absorption and reflective qualities that other brands do not.

cchiacch

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
How would I clean the head, if it might be clogged? I tried using after market inks and all of a sudden this began to happen.

I'm using Photoshop software to print photos, but even when I print strictly from the net for example, I get the same results.

Thinking a new print head might be in order and if so any suggestions on getting a reasonable priced one?

Thank you all for such quick responses, I never been on a forum with such quick help!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Wait a moment: did you try a deep clean cycle after reinstalling the Canon original cartridges to remove all traces of the refill ink ? After that: are you still printing on original Canon paper ? Or is it on non-branded paper ? You must try this before giving a ordeal: even if you are using original Canon ink and you are using cheap non-branded paper you can still have the colour cast on your prints. Otherwise you will have biased result and you won't know it's the ink or your paper.

Did you tried a nozzle check and see of the print pattern is ok ? If you are not sure then post a scan (if possible) of your nozzle check printout on this forum so I and others can see it.

cchiacch

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Kodak is cheap paper? Yes did a deep clean when put the new ink cartridges in.

Tried another deep clean today and got the same result. Will try Canon paper to see if I still get green. Sad that Canon would make a printer that doesn't print properly with Kodak paper.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
the reverse - too bad Kodak doesn't make paper that prints properly with Canon printers! I have read posts of several people who use Kodak paper with Canon printers successfully.

Any change of ink or paper, cheap or expensive, has the risk of a color shift. It is puzzling, however, that changing back to OEM inks doesn't correct the color shift. As CC said, go back to what you know gave you good color - ink and paper combo - and see where you are.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Magenta that is printing light will cause a green cast, so PM and M are suspect. Can you print a nozzle check, then scan it and post the results?

This may sound dumb, but have you checked that all 8 carts are in the correct slots?