IP6000D Ink Levels

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There are some differences between BCI-6 and CLI-8 inks.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/color-difference-of-canons-bci-3-bci-3e-bci-6-cli-8.2445944/

For some, the differences are small enough that they need no color management alterations or a custom printer profile. Our Mr. @The Hat would use syrup for Sno-Cones if it were cheap enough. He would probably make it work, too. ;)

Your IP6000D is designed to use the BCI-6 inks. The ICC Printer Profile file that installs with the printer is made to work best - give the best color matching - with the BCI-6 inks and Canon papers. However, depending on the paper used, the Chromalife CLI-8 inks claim to be more fade resistant.

For the price you paid for OEM Canon BCI-6, I would, too, stick with the BCI-6 inks! :thumbsup

JimHanus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP6000D
There are some differences between BCI-6 and CLI-8 inks.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/color-difference-of-canons-bci-3-bci-3e-bci-6-cli-8.2445944/

For some, the differences are small enough that they need no color management alterations or a custom printer profile. Our Mr. @The Hat would use syrup for Sno-Cones if it were cheap enough. He would probably make it work, too. ;)

Your IP6000D is designed to use the BCI-6 inks. The ICC Printer Profile file that installs with the printer is made to work best - give the best color matching - with the BCI-6 inks and Canon papers. However, depending on the paper used, the Chromalife CLI-8 inks claim to be more fade resistant.

For the price you paid for OEM Canon BCI-6, I would, too, stick with the BCI-6 inks! :thumbsup
:bow

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Happy printing!

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Nevertheless, there's one possible problem using BCI-6. Those are very old carts. In all likelihood, Canon stopped the production years ago and the units available nowadays have been stored somewhere for a long, long time. So, even if they're new and OEM, the ink or the sponge might have degraded up to a point.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I don’t know where you getting your carts from, BUT they are not genuine OEM Canon carts, and the dead giveaway is the free shipping bit..

It’s no wonder your having problems with the printer thinking your carts are empty.. Sure there’s nothing more than colour water in the Feckin carts..

A set of empty OEM carts including shipping would cost more than $14, so you need to seriously look again at what type of inks your using, because you need to protect that print head in your precious printer..

JimHanus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP6000D
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...oc=3&LH_FS=1&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=1000|1500
I don't want to argue or offend anyone, but here's what works for me (I hope the link works). I live in the USA and buy my OEM CANON BCI-6 cartridges on eBay from a variety of sellers. I only buy ORIGINAL OEM CANON BCI-6 CARTRIDGES. I have been doing this since 2014 for this IP6000D printer when I switched over from a Epson 300 that I used with reservoirs (too messy). I only buy recently expired or listed as fairly new. They may be open box or damaged box, but must be in the original, sealed packaging, and free returns if there is a problem. I always keep 1 or 2 of each color on hand so as to never run short (here's a photo of some of them). In 7 years I have not had a single bad cartridge. Waiting on my PM cartridges to arrive. This thread started because I bought a used IP6000D that had both OEM and unmarked cartridges in it. I'm not questioning anyone's knowledge or credentials, I only know what I've done and what works for me. Your results may very.
inks.JPG

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I only buy recently expired or listed as fairly new.
I have used aftermarket bulk bottle ink already opened that was beyond it suggested use by date. Others here have as well.

The concern is old ink, though in factory wrapper and box, may become desiccated to the extent it is a greater risk for clogging than ink that is within date and kept in proper environmental conditions. These conditions are same as for your printer as listed in your manual. Of course, direct sunlight is harsher on a cartridge than on a printer, but you hopefully get the gist. Cartridges not properly sealed are also at risk for biological contaminants.

I have no idea if age of the cartridge directly affects the coolant properties of the ink - Canon printers heat up the ink and then spit it out on the paper. The ink acts as a coolant for the heated nozzles to decrease the risk of burned out nozzles, something that can easily happen if you run the printer without ink.

Members just do not want you to use an ink that has an increased risk for print head malfunction. It is a fine printer and one of the last of its Canon chipless kind still in use. Treat her with kid gloves as you are not likely to find a true new print head for her.