ip5000 Waste Ink Full Error - need help!

chadsichello

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie to posting to this list but I've been using it to maximize the use of our Canon ip5000 for quite some time.

I've got the dreaded waste ink error message now and I can't seem to reset the printer using any of the codes that people have used for other printers. Any suggestions? I've completely cleaned out the printer and the waste ink strip, so its ready to go, but I don't want to print much more for fear that it will eventually stop altogether without properly resetting this feature.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-chad

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Have you tried the procedure used for the iP4000? I believe that the reset sequence is identical to the iP5000. Here's a link to a free service manual download where you can get an iP4000 service manual. http://fileshare.eshop.bg/index.php?what=search2

chadsichello

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I got the reset to work properly. However, a new a much more serious problem has come up. Now I get banding across and vertically down my photos! I called Canon about the problem, and of course they said that I had to send the printer in to see if I could get it fixed or not, but I figured I'd ask here first. Check out this digital photo of a printed photo that I used re-ink-ing.com inks on with HP Photo Paper Pro.

http://www.greenrooftops.com/example1.jpg

Any ideas what's going on? I've tried to prime the cartridges, but that vertical line can't be a mechanical problem can it? I hope you guys know better than I do, cause I have no idea what's going on. Thanks, -chad

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm a little confused by the photo. Since it is shown as a landscape photo, the vertical line would actually be horizontal and if so, it looks like a clogged print head nozzle. The alternating bands are a little strange, but they almost appear to be roller marks. The HP Photo paper is a swellable type which takes forever to dry and the feed rollers could be marking the paper. First suggestion is to print a nozzle check and see if all nozzles are firing. Second suggestion is to try a different type of paper - microporous or nanoporous which is also called instant dry. If it is roller marks, that should resolve that issue. Start with these two suggestions and if that comes up empty, we'll try something a little more drastic.

chadsichello

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Example3 and example4 clearly show that print head alignment is way off. Have you tried both automatic and manual print head alignment procedures? This could also be the result of ink or grease on the timing strip film. Very carefully clean the strip with ethanol.