IP5000 CD Printing Help

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, I recently started using the CD/DVD printing feature of the Pixma IP5000. I have run into a problem though. I'll try to outline what happened as best as I could.

After buying some full-hub printable Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's, I began to use the IP5000 to print. Everything was working fine.

I then decided to make DVD inserts as well, so I went to Costco and bought one pack of 8.5x11 Kirkland brand made in USA photo paper as I couldn't find any made in Switzerland one. I first tested using plain paper to see if the DVD inserts would look good, they did. I then started printing DVD inserts using the Kirkland Photo Paper. Everything seemed well.

Afterwards I decided to print on some more DVDs and ran into a problem. When I print now everything seems washed out. It seems like whenever red ink is required, it is using the yellow ink as a replacement. Also text seems faded. I'd try to post some pictures of the problem but I can't atm.

I decided to test out printing the same label but this time just using plain paper. It came out fine. It seems it only happened when I tried to print DVDs.

Anyone know what the problem may be? I'm using MMC branded ink.

Here are my settings:

For DVD inserts:
Code:
Media Type: Photo Paper Pro
Paper Source: Paper Feed Switch
Print Quality: High
Color Adjustment: Manual
Cyan: 0
Magenta: 0
Yellow: 0
Black 0:
Intensity 10
Enable ICM: On
Print Type: Photo
Brightness: Normal
Grayscale Printing: OFF
Reduce Spool Data Size: OFF
Printing Type: Borderless Printing
Vivid Photo: ON
Photo Optimiser PRO: OFF
Photo Noise Reduction: OFF
For Printable DVD
Code:
Media Type: Printable disc (Recommended)
Paper Source: Disc Tray
Print Quality: High
Color Adjustment: Manual
Cyan: 0
Magenta: 0
Yellow: 0
Black 0:
Intensity 10
Enable ICM: On
Print Type: Photo
Brightness: Normal
Grayscale Printing: OFF
Reduce Spool Data Size: OFF
Printing Type: Normal-size Printing
Vivid Photo: ON
Photo Optimiser PRO: OFF
Photo Noise Reduction: OFF
Here is an example:

This is how it was suppose to look:
Picture1

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So anyone have any suggestions? Did my doing borderless printing screw up DVD printing somehow? Or is it some other reason?

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hello eixty,

I am presently using an iP3000 for CD/DVD printing chores and am very pleased with the results.

Color Adj = auto
Software = Acoustica
Ink = Hobbicolors
Media = Verbatim Silver

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jflan said:
Hello eixty,

I am presently using an iP3000 for CD/DVD printing chores and am very pleased with the results.

Color Adj = auto
Software = Acoustica
Ink = Hobbicolors
Media = Verbatim Silver
I'm pleased with the results too, until I ran into the problems I'd described in the original post. Do you know any reason why I'm experiencing the problem that I have? Thank you.

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jflan said:
Try auto (that's the only difference I see)
Always use good media like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim
I did try auto, it didn't work. I'm using TY media. The thing is though, before I started printing the DVD inserts, the DVDs were printing fine. This happened afterwards when I tried to print DVDs again.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
OK, maybe it's got something to do with the S/W that you are using...
Try Acoustica, there is a free trial offered.

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jflan said:
OK, maybe it's got something to do with the S/W that you are using...
Try Acoustica, there is a free trial offered.
Okies, using Acoustica seems to have solved the problem. Do you know why Surething won't work correctly? I mean, it worked before, but not it doesn't. Thanks again.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I haven't looked at Surething although I've seen where folks compared Acoustica to it and ended up going with Acoustica.
Epson folks seem to like Surething.

My non-technical response is that Acoustica is tailored to interface with the Canons very well. I have no idea as to why you experienced a degraded product after running covers.

I started with Nero and CDLabelPrint.
When I test drove Acoustica (out of curiosity) and saw how polished and easy it was, I bought it. Best $22USD I've spent in a while :)

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jflan said:
I haven't looked at Surething although I've seen where folks compared Acoustica to it and ended up going with Acoustica.
Epson folks seem to like Surething.

My non-technical response is that Acoustica is tailored to interface with the Canons very well. I have no idea as to why you experienced a degraded product after running covers.

I started with Nero and CDLabelPrint.
When I test drove Acoustica (out of curiosity) and saw how polished and easy it was, I bought it. Best $22USD I've spent in a while :)
I see, thanks for all the help.