iP4950. B200 error

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
@Pentode:

Do you mean 'My Image Garden'? This is Canon's free image software, it prints wedding pictures with floral borders and suchlike.

Using Windows? You can use any image software you like from the freebies like 'Paint', Gimp and Irfanview through Lightroom and Photoshop.

Whatever worked on your 4950 works on the 8750 but you'll need the driver CD. It lets you choose what to install, the minimum would be the IJ driver and preferably the XPS driver. (For Windows). The wireless setup is easy but needs a DHCP server somewhere on your network to function. USB is plug 'n pray.

You said 'People' having trouble' Printers seem to drive many people insane, judging by some of the reviews on Amazon. Many reviewers on there can't operate a knife and fork properly.

I do believe you'll get better advice here.

Welcome to the asylum. :confused:

Last edited:

Pentode

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ip8750 and ML3050
Yes, yes I should have known Smudger about 'My Image Garden', mi' brain cells are not rattling like they used to do, laughing out loud I do use 'Easy Photo Print 'I should have known.

I suppose the Photo paper feed could make a good argument, not that I'm seeking such, kinda' a faddy I have but isn't there a tighter bend coming from the horizontal position, don't wanna go down that route though.

Going back to the B200
I'm rather intrigued though why I'm getting a B200 error and 6 amber flashes or sometimes 10 amber and flashes alternatively with green. Is it because the 'supposed' faulty head voltage is not allowing the other two faults to clear from memory.

I've had the thing stripped down, checked what I could including the micro switch sensors, even stripped the power supply to check the components.....

I keep thinking, maybe switch on tomorrow and I'll 'hit the jackpot' all darn lights will flash, printer starts working and out comes the money, had no such luck yet!

PS: Any rooooom at the innnn, the assylum?

Dave

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@The Hat
I read a couple of post somewhere where replacing the heads didn't solve the problem, also read somewhere when you change the head Canon changes the logic board as well, the guy posted the bill, It was a 'winded' post I made though.

Geesh I'm having 2nd thoughts if I should cancel, My garden software is causing headaches for loads of people.

Anyone know if you have to use 'My Garden software' or can you use other software?

Thanks, Dave

There is a risk that a damaged print head can damage the logic board, and a logic board that has been damaged this way can damage a new print head. So replacing a print head without also replacing the logic board is a gamble.

Newer Canon service manuals recommend that in the case of a print head failure both print head and logic board is replaced. Here is a clip from the service manual for the similar iP4800. A link to this manual is found here. You find a parts catalog for the iP4950 here.

iP4800 SM.jpg

Going back to the B200
I'm rather intrigued though why I'm getting a B200 error and 6 amber flashes or sometimes 10 amber and flashes alternatively with green. Is it because the 'supposed' faulty head voltage is not allowing the other two faults to clear from memory.

I've had the thing stripped down, checked what I could including the micro switch sensors, even stripped the power supply to check the components.....

To properly test the power supply you will need to apply a control voltage to the control terminal. The power supply has a stand by and an operating mode. The stand by output voltages are lower than the operating voltages. More about testing the power supply here.

According to the druckerchannel.de forum Canon power supplies fail very rarely, instead failure to turn on is caused by a defective print head and/or logic board.

You decide if you want to gamble and replace the print head, sadly I cannot tell the odds for success.

And off topic: Did you find the avatar in QST or the ARRL handbook?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Pentode You would want to be mighty unlucky for this to happen, I run quite a few printers and have never had it happen yet, but I have lost about ten heads in that time, I am not saying it can't happen, I am saying it’s very unlikely.

I have never used the My Garden App. but as far as I know it works with most Pixma printers old and new and can be downloaded separately from the Canon website..

O’ and by the way entry to our Asylum is completely free after you have acquired at least two printer, not necessary working models.. :p
smudger said:
You said 'People' having trouble' Printers seem to drive many people insane, judging by some of the reviews on Amazon. Many reviewers on there can't operate a knife and fork properly.
+ 100 :thumbsup :gig :gig

Pentode

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ip8750 and ML3050
@Hat.
I do have a Samysung (Samsung) mono laser, hey I did start off with a Epson C62 then onto a ip5000 are they counted?

Now that C62 was a real clogger... at the time there was a Epson service agent in ourt town, I took it to him he picked it up and clodded it across the room into the waste bin and gave me a refurbished - he stopped doing Epson now, dunno why?

I downloaded the latest version of Easy Photo Print from Canon last night, that was after I posted, just got 'panicky' at the time.

@PeterBJ
First off I'm not a member of ARRL nor QST, I am a member of QRZ.com though but have no Avatar, think I got it from a site that did radio ham avatars did down load a couple to a folder.

I agree checking the power supply on-load for ripple and hash and indeed voltage is the way to go, I was looking for bulged capacitors. To be honest this would be the last thing I'd suspect, they're not exactly stressed, the heat they produce is almost nothing.

Is that '10 times' on the left of the bill referring to the amber and green flashing 10 by any chance? I also get 6 amber's.

Looking at the head they do look intact, brand new I'd say, one of the first things I did was to clean the head contacts with Isopropanol.

I did have a ip5000 I fitted a new print head in, worked like a charm, that printer did have some clobber, maybe best printer of the bunch.... then Canon began to get skinny with their ink tanks.

Cheers, Dave

Pentode

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ip8750 and ML3050
Got the ip8750, straight out the box the pictures are better than the ip4950 by far and that's on it's standard setting, not tried the high quality print setting nor other settings yet.

Not gonna put the ip4950 under the lump hammer just yet, might have a bash and get a print head..... as well as give it a new nappy should I be successful.

Been in touch with CRC Tasktron here's what they said-:
'Error B200 is most likely the print head but it’s not a guarantee.'

Thanks to all contributors for your efforts, Dave