iP4950. B200 error

Pentode

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ip8750 and ML3050
I printed 10 6x4 pictures, tried to print a printable CD and up popped B200 error.

I get 6 amber flashes or 10 amber and green flashes, this is causing frustration because I thought a B200 related to 'high head voltage detected'. My way of thinking maybe an error occurred as I was loading the CD, along came the B200 error and the poor old loading error can't be cleared from memory until the 'real' error is fixed.

Would it be worth my while in swapping the print head or would the logic board have to go as well? Guess it's like asking how long a ball of string is.

I was looking at the IP8750 as a replacement, I don't like the IP7250 because of no rear top feed and never like putting glossy material in the internal tray's for fear of scratching and bending also I like to print on thin card which the ip4950 allows me to do the IP7250, the paper handling of the ip7250 isn't as good.

Would this be a wise choice or is there anything better, text and photo wise.

Thanks, Dave.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Dave and welcome, you are now faced with the big dilemma that faces many guys in your current situation, do I buy a new head or get a new printer ?

The new head is the most obvious choice but a more expensive one and as you have found out all ready the 7250 is a very poor replacement. (Putting it mildly)

You could try googling to see if you can get a similar printer to your 8750, somewhere up and down the country, or take a chance and give EBay a try, but most of the good second hand machines are all ready very scares.

There are no decent replacement anymore and you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place and the only way is up unfortunately, meaning a Pro printer.

The Pro printer will do all the things your current printer will do but do it a bit better for a greater cost outlay, so weighing up the odds a new print head is less as expensive as a Pro printer is, it is unlikely that the logic board in your current printer has been damaged..

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
I'm a recent Canon convert so no expert. I have a new IP7250 which uses bottom tray feeds for two trays. Print quality is excellent but I miss the rear feed. On the upside I use it for photo proofing and like having the trays enclosed to keep the dust out. I use this printer more than the the other two, for its sheer convenience and two sizes of stored paper, but some don't like the bendy paper handling.

I also have an IX6850. It uses the same five ink carts (551/XL) type and is A3+ rear feed only at £160.00 or so. It seems an excellent photo printer so far.

The IP8750 is a six tank printer, I haven't used one, or seen the results, but that extra grey tank seems tempting. The rear paper handling (on my 6850) runs 310 gsm gallery photo paper with no problems, so should the IP8750, I trust. At £219 it seems worth the extra over IX6850.

Canon also have XPS drivers for these printers which 'give better greys', if that's your thing.

Next up is the Pro100, with 8 inks. £330 or so.

Last edited:

Pentode

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ip8750 and ML3050
Hi folks, thanks for the reply.

@HAT
I'm looking to replace the ip4950 with the ip8750, the post was a little 'winded' I guess.

@Smudger
The rear top feed and lesser paper weight handling put me off the ip7250 because once in a while 'we' (er' indoors') use thin card, coloured card laminated makes excellent front panels for my electronic projects, she'll make better use of the A3 size than I will.

Don't get me wrong I'm no pro, just want a 'decent' printer that does text and photos, the A3 size and the added gray ink tank bothers me non. I like the idea of a pigment black rather than a single black of many other printers, no name no flame wars. The A3 size wasn't important, if it does the job and have the facilities to me is more important, just that I can't find any other printer equal or better than the ip5000/4950, not really important but I do like to print DVD and CD's once in a while, rather than use CD labels.

I do feel Canon has gone down hill with ip7250 when comparing to the iP5000 and 4950 model.

Whether I'll nip out and grab one later, time will tell, the prices on many printers, not just Canon's vary like wild fire one shop locally want £320 for a iP8750 compared to the one across town wanted only £220, yet again one could be had for less than that from the internet.... but that means waiting, I'd sooner buy locally if possible.

Dave

Pentode

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ip8750 and ML3050
Ordered ip8750, will be collecting Monday.

Dave

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
Having A3+ is a big temptation. You'll enjoy the machine, I think.

Pentode

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ip8750 and ML3050
I just wanted something for the convenience of printing text and doing decent photos as well as printing on thin card.

The paper thickness handling is the same as the ip4950 where as the ip7250 is only about 200g (100g less) and that's on Canons paper. I got it for £219.99 and there's a Canon £30 cash back to come.

Just had a brain wave, wonder if I can get the old 'duffer' to print even if it's just one colour, might be able to codge it for printing PCB's (printed circuit board) directly.... there's a forum for hacking Epsons for that.... just my luck the logic board is kaputt.

If you see the moon with two faces t'other ul be mine!

Dave

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Pentode I miss read your first post, I got mixed up with your iP printers, but that’s nothing new.

I got a question:- Why do you think the logic board is gone AWOL, and @Smudger is right A3+ prints are the business..

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
The £30 cash back is excellent. Canon quote 300gsm for their photo paper through the 7250, same as the 4950 and your new 8750, unless I'm mistook. Though the 7250 still has the limbo_dancing paper path instead of the top feed.
:idunno

It does occur to me that the 180 degree bend this puts on the paper isn't much worse than the curved media fed into roller fed printers. (She added hopefully).

Though I'm glad my 6850 is top feed.

Last edited:

Pentode

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ip8750 and ML3050
@The Hat
I read a couple of post somewhere where replacing the heads didn't solve the problem, also read somewhere when you change the head Canon changes the logic board as well, the guy posted the bill, It was a 'winded' post I made though.

Geesh I'm having 2nd thoughts if I should cancel, My garden software is causing headaches for loads of people.

Anyone know if you have to use 'My Garden software' or can you use other software?

Thanks, Dave