iP4600 error message

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
I have been refilling my iP4600 successfully for 18 months now. However, the printer has just developed a fault.

When I switch on, the power light and the alarm light flash alternately ten times until there is a pause with the power light on, then the sequence repeats. The iP4600 manual says 10 alarm flashes means it cannot perform duplex printing, which doesn't seem particularly relevant, and also there is no mention of the power light flashing alternately with the alarm light. Alternatively, the manual says that if power and alarm flash alternately a printer error has occurred - I take this to mean that the firmware has got an unexplained error. However the manual appears to imply the lights will keep flashing alternately in this case, not pause after ten flashes. So I'm not sure which of these error messages is correct, but my guess is that the firmware has had an unexplained error.

Whatever I do, disconnecting the USB cable, then powering on and off the way Canon suggest has no effect.

This first happened a few weeks ago, and I had just about given up trying everything, when I started doing something with the ink cartridges, and the problem cured itself. The printer has been working OK for the last few weeks, but the error has happened again, and this time I've been unable to clear it.

Since it seems possible that the carts were involved when it cleared before, I wonder whether anyone has seen anything like this, or can suggest anything else to try. Canon support were no help and said I needed to replace the printer.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
1) Connect your printer usb cable to your computer and power up the printer.
2) Go to the Printer Maintenance Tab, ClickView Printer Status to see what is the exact error code or message. If there is an error code/ message post back to the forum, probably someone in the forum might know and offer some suggestion.
For eg, windows
Note this is a sample image grab from the web. Ignore the red circle Roller Cleaning. But click on the "View Printer Status" at the bottom of the dialogue prompt.
iP1600RollerClean.jpg

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Unfortunately the printer status dialog only says what the lights already say - there has been a printer error.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ten times alternate orange green - error B200

"VH monitor error or Error Code B200
Condition: The print head voltage is abnormal.
Problems and Solutions:
Replace Print head and logic board (Replace them at the same time.)
Replace Power supply unit
Check and Clean Head contact pin condition of the carriage unit
Check Cable connection especially the carriage FFC"

And from internet answers to this problem:
"B200 error code means that the issue is with high temperature of the print head due to voltage issue. Its like the temperature sensor will detect high temperature of the print head and will flash this error code. You can leave it unplugged for 30 minutes and if the error returns then the print head should be replaced or the unit should be serviced."

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
I don't have the printer model you are having so I can't be for sure. But there is a possibility that one of the cart chip couldn't be recognized. 2 possibilities case:
1) It could be the chip was not sitting probably to the chip sensor. As we remove carts and reinsert carts many times after refilled, the plastic tail of the cartridge can be less sturdy then before. Reinsert your cartridge to the printhead, instead of push on the top body of cartridges to secure the cartridges into the printhead, push/press on the tips of tails cartridges, then will help the chip to have better contact with the chip sensor. I am still using the cartridge with chip that I had 4-5 years ago (can't remember when I first bought the printer) and the chips are still going strong. During few years, I encountered various errors with the chip that a lot of members reported and I resolves all the error related to the cartridge chip.

The only thing I could not resolves for my printer problems is printhead that was defective due to electrical problem and deformed printhead nozzles due to Kogation(cogation) of poor quality ink as well as broken parts inside the printer and wires after I dismantled and reassemble them multiple times.

2) If it's not due to unrecognized chip, then this has something to do with some error with the chip data reported (whatever you called it). I am not too sure if this works for your printer (those that uses software nowadays). Go to the service mode if you have the software for waste ink reset, try to print the EEPROM information info or printer extended nozzle check. This somehow clear the error with the chip data for those that uses button method to go to the service mode as this will set the printer offline despite it being power up. So I am not too sure if this work for your machine since now it requires the use of software.

----
By the way are you using all the original cartridges in your printer or you mixed and matches with refillable compatible cartridges?

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
gigigogu said:
Ten times alternate orange green - error B200

"VH monitor error or Error Code B200
Condition: The print head voltage is abnormal.
Problems and Solutions:
Replace Print head and logic board (Replace them at the same time.)
Replace Power supply unit
Check and Clean Head contact pin condition of the carriage unit
Check Cable connection especially the carriage FFC"

And from internet answers to this problem:
"B200 error code means that the issue is with high temperature of the print head due to voltage issue. Its like the temperature sensor will detect high temperature of the print head and will flash this error code. You can leave it unplugged for 30 minutes and if the error returns then the print head should be replaced or the unit should be serviced."
Thanks for this. I guess this describes my problem. But the suggested solutions are not too appealing, involving replacing expensive components without any guarantee they will solve the problem. I could try the last two suggestions if I can work out how to dismantle the printer. Not sure it's worth it though.

I did clean the printhead about 18 months ago. From the solutions above, I don't think Canon is suggesting that poor print head contacts could cause this error, but I suppose I could try removing it and cleaning the contacts.

But I suspect I will soon be looking for a new printer. When I do this, I will probably be posting here on the best one to get that will be OK for refilling. From recent posts about the new Canon cartridges, I'm not sure I'll be buying another Canon.

BTW did you get the above diagnostic information from a Canon service manual? Can it be downloaded from anywhere?

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
lin said:
By the way are you using all the original cartridges in your printer or you mixed and matches with refillable compatible cartridges?
All the cartridges I'm refilling are original Canon ones.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
FryingSaucer said:
BTW did you get the above diagnostic information from a Canon service manual? Can it be downloaded from anywhere?
Equivalence of ten alternate flashes with error code from fixya.
diagnostic info from here http://serviceprinter.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/error-codes-and-solution-for-canon-ip-and-mp-series/

I have not found a service manual for IP4600, but the manuals for IP4500 and IP4700 have this specific code.
http://www.gondack.com.ar/media/useruploads/files/ip4500-ssm.pdf
http://www.grumpymiddleagedman.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2011/10/ip4700-ssm.pdf

Do not abandon Canon printers yet, in my opinion these are the best for refilling (save for Brother printers).

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
FryingSaucer, I missed out the parts where you said your Power LED were blinking as well. As such I was looking at the same error you mentioned about the duplex error from the service manual. If you scrolled down the ip4600 manual, you will see the the service error code for the blinking of power led & alarm led and the B200 error code. It's just right underneath the section after Operator Call Errors.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Gigigogu. Thanks for the links