iP4500

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My Auld iP4500 has given in its notice, I purged all the carts and installed them fresh and also flooded the purge pads but unfortunately the magenta has a large stripe in the middle of it after two deep cleans.. So no dice, she’s gone..

I only used it for CD printing anyway..
iP4500.jpg click to enlarge

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It's a pity that you cannot get genuine new printheads for these good old PGI-5/CLI-8 printers that were a much higer build quality than newer Canon printers for home use. I have collected some good old printers from thrift stores and similar, but even if I only print a nozzle check occasionally the printheads can break down suddenly. I have dumped more than a handful of good old Canon printers due to sudden printhead failure.

My default printer an iP4300 suffers from cross contamination which gradually gets worse. I salvaged it in 2015. It had been dumped because of cross contamination. I bought one of the last genuine new QY6-0061 printheads in Europe I think. At least I got almost seven years of service from the iP4300.

Here is a nozzle check after the printer has not been in use for a couple of days and after a cleaning, click to enlarge:

iP4300 cross contamination.jpg

I have got an MP800 in good condition that uses the same print head and cartridges and has got a CCD scanner. I think that one will be my "new" default printer, click to enlarge:

MP800-2 SM 1+2.jpg

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250, TS9150

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
These printheads from China are used and most likely defective printheads that have been cleaned to look like like new and often packaged in counterfeit foil bags and cardboard boxes. Most often they are defective out of the box. There have been several warnings on the forum about these printheads.

The printheads from the ad are claimed to be genuine and refurbished. There are no printheads for Canon printers made by 3rd party manufacturers, so even defective printheads for Canon printers are genuine, made by Canon.

The printheads from the ad are very old, they are type QY6-0067. A later replacement type is QY6-0075. I think this suggests that the printheads were pulled from defective printers.

Do only buy Canon printheads from regular dealers of Canon spare parts. Sadly unused printheads for these old printers are no longer available.

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
These printheads from China are used and most likely defective printheads that have been cleaned to look like like new and often packaged in counterfeit foil bags and cardboard boxes. Most often they are defective out of the box. There have been several warnings on the forum about these printheads.

The printheads from the ad are claimed to be genuine and refurbished. There are no printheads for Canon printers made by 3rd party manufacturers, so even defective printheads for Canon printers are genuine, made by Canon.

The printheads from the ad are very old, they are type QY6-0067. A later replacement type is QY6-0075. I think this suggests that the printheads were pulled from defective printers.

Do only buy Canon printheads from regular dealers of Canon spare parts. Sadly unused printheads for these old printers are no longer available.
I agree - use only parts from dealers!
But if the only option is a new printer I would try to by a printhead anyway (I'll even try twice).
(May main concern is the price of ink for new printers, which fast will be higher than two tries.)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you search the web you can find these heads both at higher and lower prices, but they are all a gamble to buy.

Also remember that now you have to add VAT and an import fee to the price when importing goods from non EU countries.

In Denmark the expensive head would then cost DKK 955 +25% VAT + Import fee = DKK955 + DKK238.75 + DKK160 = DKK1353.75 or €181.55 or $206.25.

Much too much for a most likely useless print head IMO.

Last edited:

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Agree - it's a gamble.

Lets say IMO:
2 heads to get one with minor lines i a color is roughly $400 in EU.
This price is egual to 14 cartridges CLI-581XXl (exclusive a new printer for CD).

If I need the CD printing I would still try to keep the IP4500 alive.

Currently I'm trying to keep two IP7250 alive and succesfully replaced ink absorber twice.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If I need the CD printing I would still try to keep the IP4500 alive.
Once the head was lost there was no point in keeping her anymore, anyway she deserves her retirement, it’s was the original head that came with the printer and had a sheet count of over 54,000.

I’ve got an i9950 that will still do CD’s, and the same carts and ink will work in her..

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
How did you manage that sheet number (54,000)?

On an IP7250 I'd to replace inkabsorber after 7100 sheets A4.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think 54000 pages printed with one QY6-0067 print head is very impressive :)That printhead was considered fragile and the replacement type QY6-0075 less so. Did you have to clean or replace the ink absorbers?