IP4500 scratches the paper

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello

I recently purchased a PIXMA IP4500 and after doing some A4 prints I've noticed 2 lines of very small indentations running across the page. I am not sure why these are created but it may be due to some page gripping mechanism. Is there any way to reduce or eliminate this problem? I have tried using the "prevent page abrasion" option but that didn't resolve the issue. Is my printer faulty?

Thanks.

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just a simple check to see if your paper has a curve in it which can sometimes cause these problems?
Regards Doug.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Question: those A4 printers, are they printed on photo paper and if so: is this swellable or microporous paper. Swellable paper tends to suffer from those "pizza wheels" indentations.

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

Sorry about the lack of detail.

The paper is non Canon glossy photo paper 210gsm (Atlas 210gsm A4 Glossy Photo Paper - actually very good stuff for the price :)) from: svp.co.uk and is perfectly flat when inserted into the printer from the top.

How do I check if the paper is of the swellable type? There are no specifications on the paper.

Also when I used the included test sheets (matt paper) for head alignment I did not notice any indentations at all.

The indentations are only noticeable if the paper is bent towards the light. So under normal conditions ie mounted on a wall then you can't see them.

Thanks.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
The 'pizza wheel' effect on the paper is due to the chemical used on the surface of these 3rd party glossy photo paper. Better glossy photo paper are the one that uses better quality chemical and do not produce thee 'pizza wheel'. With poor quality chemical used, these poor 3rd party glossy photo paper also tend to cause glossy photo printout to fade much faster even if you use original or quality 3rd party ink on them. This is why I use only original glossy photo paper (Canon/Epson etc) or IlFord for 3rd party. However, if you use poor quality ink on original photo paper, the glossy photo printout will also fade even if you had used the original photo paper. So good quality paper and ink needs to good hand in hand.

You should consider either OEM (original) photo paper or better quality 3rd party paper. You can test these glossy photo paper and you should not have see any of these pizza wheel effect.

Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II (PP-201) (slightly glossier than Canon PP-101)
PP201_8-10.jpg

Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy (PP-101)
Epson Glossy Photo Paper
ILford Glossy Photo Paper
etc......

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
lin, thanks for the info.

Like many I feel the OEM papers are over priced esp in the UK but the saying "you get what you pay for" applies here. I will probably go through various 3rd party papers to see which ones gives the best quality/price. If anyone has done this already please share your results :)

I plan to refill my cartridges with "Hobbicolors" ink once the OEM ink has run out. Is this ink good enough for the top OEM papers with regards to the "pizza wheel" effect?

Thanks.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It is more the paper then the quality of the ink causing the pizza wheels. Swellable paper can be recognized by rubbing with your finger over the surface. It should be very slippery. Microporous paper peeps when you rub your finger over it. However: swellable paper like Ilford smooth glossy paper has much better light fastness, because the ink is drawn beneath the surface and sealed against the destructive action of for example ozon and other oxidative gases which cause dye fading.

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist, thanks for the tip. Yes the paper I am using feels very smooth and "slippery". So I guess this is most probably swellable paper.

Thanks.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
It is more the paper then the quality of the ink causing the pizza wheels. Swellable paper can be recognized by rubbing with your finger over the surface. It should be very slippery. Microporous paper peeps when you rub your finger over it. However: swellable paper like Ilford smooth glossy paper has much better light fastness, because the ink is drawn beneath the surface and sealed against the destructive action of for example ozon and other oxidative gases which cause dye fading.
pharmacist, I didn't say it was the quality of the ink. I said it was the quality of the chemical on the surface of these 3rd party photo paper. I would appreciate if you do read carefully.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Lin,

Sorry for my misread, but how can the quality of the chemicals used on the surface of the paper can or can not cause pizza wheels ? I do not understand ? microporous paper is a type of ceramic paper: it is already heavily indentated with very fine pores to absorb the ink. On swellable paper I can understand because this is in fact a type of gel laying on the surface of the paper and this can be compressed together by those pizza wheels to form smalle indentations.