iP4500 Properties Profiles are Saved Where?

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
I've searched but can't find anything that says where Profiles that are added in the printer's Properties are saved.

In the printer Properties Profile tab, you can Add to Profiles and give it a name. Where is this saved? I searched the Registry, not there. I did a file search for files modified today, not there.

The reason I ask is that my system disk crashed and I had to install Windows XP on a new drive. I have a backup that I may be able to restore a profile I created before the crash but unless I know where it's located I can't look for it in my backup.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
msmart said:
I've searched but can't find anything that says where Profiles that are added in the printer's Properties are saved.

In the printer Properties Profile tab, you can Add to Profiles and give it a name. Where is this saved? I searched the Registry, not there. I did a file search for files modified today, not there.

The reason I ask is that my system disk crashed and I had to install Windows XP on a new drive. I have a backup that I may be able to restore a profile I created before the crash but unless I know where it's located I can't look for it in my backup.
Where to find the printer and customised profiles in Win XP and Win 7.
Go
Windows
System 32
Spool
Drivers
Color
All of the profiles are listed here OK..:thumbsup

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Hat wrote:
Where to find the printer and customised profiles in Win XP and Win 7.
Thanks for Info. I can add this:

I'm using Win Vista 32 bit on my desktop computer, and I just checked the location on that computer. It is the same location as for Win XP and Win 7.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Thanks Hat. Already looked there before posting. Not there.

None of the ICC profiles in that folder show a modified date/time of when I created the profile. Would it still be in one of those files? If so, how do I know which one?

cosink, you may want to start a new topic to ask your question rather than it being in this one. You can delete your post here, back out to the forum topic list and click on the Post new topic link.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I wonder if this could work? : Creating a new or modified profile on your new XP installation or maybe just renaming a copy of one of the existing profiles and saving that new profile. Knowing the name of this new profile, the use of windows search function might reveal its location? You would then have an idea of where to look for the lost profile on the old hard disk drive.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
msmart
None of the ICC profiles in that folder show a modified date/time of when I created the profile.
Would it still be in one of those files? If so, how do I know which one?
OK one way to solve this is to do what peterBJ suggests
but you may have to add to the search the date modified as well as the new ICC Profile name.

I have several Profiles that I made and they are stored on my D: drive in a file called Updates so yours could be stored anywhere..:)

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Before I do that, Peter, I should clarify..... It's not the printer's associated color profiles but rather a profile in the printing preferences window.

If you right click on the printer in the Control Panel and choose Properties and go to the Color Management tab, the Profiles listed are what's in the spool>drivers>color folder. I have Automatic chosen (Windows will automatically select the best printer profile from the list of associated color profiles).

But if you select Printing Preferences from the printer in Control Panel, that's where you can select custom print settings and save them as a profile in the Profiles tab. So you're saving custom print settings in a "profile, not a true ICC color profile.

It's that custom print settings "profile" that I want to know where they're saved. There's lots of pages on the 'net on how to change them but nothing, that I could find, that shows where they saved to.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
msmart said:
Before I do that, Peter, I should clarify..... It's not the printer's associated color profiles but rather a profile in the printing preferences window.

If you right click on the printer in the Control Panel and choose Properties and go to the Color Management tab, the Profiles listed are what's in the spool>drivers>color folder. I have Automatic chosen (Windows will automatically select the best printer profile from the list of associated color profiles).

But if you select Printing Preferences from the printer in Control Panel, that's where you can select custom print settings and save them as a profile in the Profiles tab. So you're saving custom print settings in a "profile, not a true ICC color profile.

It's that custom print settings "profile" that I want to know where they're saved. There's lots of pages on the 'net on how to change them but nothing, that I could find, that shows where they saved to.
Have you tried going to Color management/ Devices and then click on that box?
Use My Settings for this Device then click on the Button Profiles in bottom right-hand corner
And combine my settings with system Default.
It's worth a try.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
That option is not available in XP Home. The only options are Automatic or Manual. If you select Manual, you select the profile and Apply, that's it.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
msmart wrote:
... It's not the printer's associated color profiles but rather a profile in the printing preferences window.
Custom settings might be stored here, or somewhere in the vicinity: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CanonBJ\IJPrinter\CNMWINDOWS\Canon iP4200

This is from a computer using Win XP home having a Pixma 4200 installed. You will have to set your Explorer or other file handling program to "Show hidden files and folders" to see the folders. This folder has a user.dat file. In my case it is a small file, but I have stored no custom settings.

Good luck with the search.
Peter.