IP4500 - nozzle still clogged after deep cleaning

lukebrenner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi there, new to this forum.
I bought a Canon IP4500 a while ago, my mistake I didn't do a thorough research before buying it.
Not that it's not good, but with those chipped cartridges ... grrr

Anyways, I got slowly empty on all cartridges except black PGBK. I went to a shop and refilled first M, then Y, then C and it printed fine even though I lost the ability of ink monitoring.
But then I forgot to refill the K one and I ran on empty. I took it out, went to a shop and refilled it. Came back, put it in and the printer stopped printing with the rror message that one ink cartridge cannot be recognized. Weird enough, it was the CYAN !!!!!

To make the story short, I bought 5 new original Canon cartridges and now they are all recognized BUT ... when I do a nozzle check it cmes out with distorted patterns.

Not all !

PGBK is OK.

Then for each color:

The first pattern for Cyan has lines, the two that follow are OK

The first pattern for Magenta is lined, the two that follow are OK.

There's only one Yellow pattern and it has lines, it is NOT OK.

There's only one Black pattern and it has lines and it is NOT OK.

I did twice cleaning and got the same result.

After that I did twice !!! DEEP CLEANING but I get the same result.

I am scared.

Any opinions ???

Thank you kindly.

Luc

fixup

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Take the print head out and wash it thoroughly in a sank with warm tap water until compressed air can go through all the colors. The air bottle is about $5.

Before you bought the Canon carts, you should have used the money to buy a redsetter. Refill yourself with the german method, as you cannot trust all the refill shops.

Spend more time to read this forum and you'll be happy.

lukebrenner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi fixup,

thank you for your answer. I indeed intend when these cartridges get empty, to buy a CIS system.

I am not in the States, I'm in Europe but there's plenty of them here too.

OK, I took the print head out, there's black ink spilled on the bottom of it but man o' man should I really wash it with tap water ? I mean there are electronic circuits there ...

Or are we talking about the same device ? There's this black plastic thing that holds the cartridges inside the printer. I took the cartridges out and then there's a grey lever, I lifted it and now I am holding in my hands this device. Is this as a whole "the print head" ? I mean at the bottom of it there's a grey thing which is screwed with 2 screws.

Sorry for the description, this is my first printer and I am a complete novice :)

I don't have an air bottle handy but will buy one tomorrow, is it absolutely needed or should I just let it dry ?

Thank you kindly for all the instructions to follow.

Luc

UPDATE.

I took the cartridges out and the printhead as well. Should I put them back into the printer so it doesn't dry until tomorrow when I'm going to wash it and air-spray it or should I leave it outside ?

fixup

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes that's the print head. You don't have to have air bottle, you can use your mouth to blow to check if the clog is removed. To dry up the head, you can throw it as hard as you can (just don't throw it out!), then use an electrical fan or a hairdryer (don't use hot air). There is only one component at the back of the green board, that's the only place should be dry. All other parts of the head is not so concerned with water. As long as that component (8 pins) is dry, there's nothing to worry about. Note that the head is designed to work in a wet ink environment. You can unscrew the two screws and take the head apart for a guaranteed clean up, see the related thread for details.

lukebrenner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OK, gotcha fixup ...

I'll start doing it right now.

lukebrenner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi there,

unfortunately NO GO ....

I have cleaned it, blew it and hairdryed it :))

Put the cartridges back and it prints the patterns EXACTLY as it was printing them before.

I took a snapshot with my cellphone: http://www.kool.ca/ip4500.jpg

God, I start being desperate ... maybe the print head is fried ...

Any other ideas ?

Thanks,

Luc

FORGOT: did twice a cleaning from the maintenance tab, the same.

lukebrenner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Geez, NO !
I am doing it right now !

Is it mandatory to use that matte MP-101 paper ?

lukebrenner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OK, done, did the automatic print head alignment, then did another Nozzle check and the pattern is the same, like in the picture.

Maybe I should reset something with some resume and power buttons combination as I was reading on the forum ?

This is very strange, it prints exactly the same pattern.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I suspect electronic problem here, test picture confirms it. Try to clean contacs on the head and inside the printer. Else you need to check wire bent connected to printhead - that's hard to do and is last resort.