IP4500-missing Cyan nozzle check

tan159753

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr You are the man.

Sure enough I took off the print-head and applied window cleaner (no windex here n the uk) to the input screens and placed the printhead on cleaner soaked tissue. All the other screens showed movement and ink on the tissue except cyan. I had a piece of tubing handy from a car window washer system (just the right size) , placed over the cyan screen, filled the tube with cleaner and gently blew into it. The amount of pressure applied was just less than blowing up a balloon. It was a bit stubborn at first but then after a few refills of cleaner started to move more easily.

Decided to do the same with magenta . Although magenta cartridge doesnt show any problems, the cartridge takes three times as long to empty even though the ink display says its empty. The cleaner moved through the magenta a little more easier than the cyan. However when I tried the tube/cleaner/blow method on the yellow, the cleaner moved really quickly much more than the magenta and cyan. Does this mean that the cyan and maybe magenta are still partially blocked? Or is it because the yellow sits more directly over the nozzles than the other colours?

Ran the nozzle side and the screen side under hot water for a a minute and just waiting for it to dry now. Going to wait till tomorrow afternoon before I refit it.
Is there anything else I should do?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Let's hope it works. I would have cautioned you against using hot water, sometimes that can damage the seals inside the print head. Also, blowing too hard can do the same thing.

I don't know the answer to why some colors were easier to blow window cleaner through than others.

I think you should wait at least two days with the print head in a warm spot before putting it back in the printer. If there is any liquid on the electronics inside the print head, it can not only burn out the print head but also the printer, so be patient.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Its been a long time since I last posted, but i think i can help out here.

I believe its easier to blow out of the yellow ink pathway [as compared to the cyan and magenta] because the yellow "printhead" only has 5pl nozzles, while the cyan and magenta have 5,2 and 1 pl nozzles. So, if after cleaning, the cyan and magenta have the same blowing-difficulty, i would say its done. The yellow will always be easier, unless it becomes blocked.

Also, i would like to second ghwellsjr's suggestion to leave the printhead to dry completely. You dont want to ruin the printhead after all that hard work.

tan159753

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
What is the procedure for putting the pinthead and inks back in?

After 3 full days drying and ith the printer still unplugged, I put in the printhead then put the lock down. I filled up all the carts and reset the ink counters. Performed 2 cleaning cycles then a nozzle check. Cyan is back from its holiday but all the colours do not print fully. All colours print but with thin lines missing in all. I assume this means some nozzles are not firing or are not yet primed.

2 deep cleaning cycles later and it is much better but still lots of missing lines. Although carts are full, I dont have any ink left for refill and cant afford to waate any more. So I would like to ask - Do i keep doing cleaning cycles and if so normal or deep? Or shall i let the printer sit another day so the the inks can make their way to the nozzles? Or is there some other procedure to perform?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Sometimes letting the printer sit for a day helps. If your cartridges are mostly empty, you can turn them upside down and drip Windex or other window cleaner in the outlet ports until the sponge is saturated and then continue to do cleanings and nozzle checks. At least if they start working again, you can decide if you want to get more ink.

It sounds like you have just put the print head and then the cartridges back in, plugged in the printer, turned it on, and continued to work with it. What other procedure are you asking about?

tan159753

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes basically I plugged in the cartridges, did some cleaning cycles and then a nozzle check. Don't really want to print until its all clear. So I have let it sit for a day and now do you suggest just keep performing cleaning cycles and then nozzle checks till its all clear?

tan159753

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
UPDATE - nozzle check reveals all the colours are working nicely. just 1 or 2 nozzles a bit faint but I think it will be OK.

Thanks again to all that have helped especially ghwellsjr.

Just a last question (promise for this post), How often should I perform a head clean if any? If I print a few pages a week, various colours is that enough to keep things moving or should I perform a regular head clean and if so how often?

NOTE to CANON : you are not getting my hard earned cash so easily. :p Next printer wont be an inkjet anyway.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
tan159753 said:
Just a last question (promise for this post), How often should I perform a head clean if any? If I print a few pages a week, various colours is that enough to keep things moving or should I perform a regular head clean and if so how often?
Just run a nozzle check everyday to exercise all nozzles. Don't waste your ink (money) on head cleaning.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
tan159753 said:
How often should I perform a head clean if any? If I print a few pages a week, various colours is that enough to keep things moving or should I perform a regular head clean and if so how often?
In my opinion, the best thing to do is leave your printer on all the time. It will clean itself whenever necessary. You never need to do a cleaning unless you observe a printing problem and a nozzle check shows clogged nozzles. And you should do a nozzle check at least once a week just to catch a problem early.