IP4500 does not print from rear tray under Windows 7

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

I've just upgraded to Windows 7 and I cannot get my IP4500 to print from the rear tray (for photo paper). When I try to print from the rear tray it defaults to using the plain paper cassette. All the settings in "Canon My Printer" paper source settings are set to default (option 1: Load frequently used paper into cassette). This is the same setting I used for WinXP which worked perfectly :)

I am using the latest Win 7 drivers from Canon.

Anyone experienced this problem and know a solution please?

Thanks in advance.

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm basing this reply on an ip4300 (Win7 x64), but I imagine the ip4500 will be similar ...

When you print, what is the setting shown under File -> Print -> Preferences -> Paper Source ?

Yours is probably set to "Paper Allocation", so the paper source is set automatically. Mine is set to "Paper Feed Switch", so the paper source is determined by the front panel switch, which I prefer. Try the various alternative settings to see what works for you.

If you need to change the default setting, change it using Control Panel -> Devices and Printers -> Right click the printer -> Printing Preferences.

Note that this does not use "Canon My Printer" to make the setting.

Ian

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I've managed to figure out the problem. The button on the front panel (the one closest to the USB port on an IP4500) was set to load paper from the cassette :mad:. I am not sure if this button can be set from software. But I've now set it so that the rear tray is on (uppermost green LED) and I'm back printing :).

My paper source is set to "Paper Allocation" which is the same as in XP.

Cheers.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
This not true: even under Windows 7 you can allocate where the printer is taking the paper from: cassete, rear tray or paper allocation (this is determined by the button on your printer).