iP4300 - leaking ink

McSpin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm refilling OEM cartridges on the 4300. When refilling, I'm drilling a hole in the top and then resealing with glue. I've refilled the pigmented black about 10 times, and now it leaks all the ink out overnight. I've double checked the seal on the hole and replaced it a couple times. It is sealed completely, yet the ink still leaks out. Is the problem likely the cartridge or might there be a problem with the print head?

I don't want to try a new OEM if the print head might be the problem.

tissouth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You have sealed it completely, and you sealed it with glue. Sounds like you know what your are doing and are doing it right.

The seal is the main source to stop leaking, unless you have a hole somewhere else. After you seal with glue, set it on a white paper towel on the sealed side down and see if any ink drips. Will also detect any flaw near the vent hole if it leaks there. If leak from vent area, replace the cartridge, it is not worth fixing. If leak is from fill hole try a different glue, and clean area completely.

Good Luck

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I did have one non Canon-OEM cart that I had refilled several times, and it subsequently leaked. The seam where the top of the cart was attached had opened slightly - just enough to permit the cart to leak. I've seen another cheap cart I refilled crack on its side.

McSpin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, at least it sounds like it must be the cart. My fill hole was tested and didn't leak. There must be a crack somewhere else, though I couldn't find it. I ordered a new cart. Pharmacist, thanks for the link. I will certainly give that method a try next time.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
McSpin,
Check the grommet around the intake screen on the printhead. I am assuming that the cartridge holder part of the ip4300 printhead is the same (or similar) as my ip4000 and ip6000D. The leak could be coming from there. Make sure the grommet is seated flat and doesn't have any tears or such faults. If there isn't a good seal at that point the cartridge will leak.

Steve W.