IP4300 Bogus Ink Jet Tank Not Recognized Message

KittyMarmalade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile said:
You can try to turned off the printer, pull the plug and short it with some metal. Now you can try if printer detects it or not.

If you do not short it it will know :) BTW canon will use a bettery sooner or later in their printers AFAIK
Hi there

Today I went out on a whim and bought 1 new OEM cart, lo and behold it works as posted here

Whomever it was who said that the circuit probably needs 1 fully functioning chip with no warrantly overidden was partly correct no? it seems that the printer eventually reacts after all the chips have had warranty removal activated ... ?

inkpirate

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I own the ip4300 and the ip4200 and the blue chip resetter from ebay. I was hoping to use the ip4300 exclusively and keep the ip4200 as a backup. Unfortunately, after resetting all of my ink carts the ip4300 no longer recognizes them. It's like the OP said, they look good when you put them in but then when you close the top it reports an error and they're all flashing.

I tried putting them in the ip4200, to see if that printer would perform some kind of canon magic on the chips, and then putting them back into the ip4300. Still no go. Ip4200 works with the reset chips with no issues after several months now. I might give in and purchase a canon oem cart to see if I can get the ip4300 going again.

inkpirate

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just an update on my ip4300. I went out and bought a new OEM cart to see if it would "complete a magic circuit" or something and get the other (reset) carts working again. It didn't work. The OEM cart is recognized okay, but the other carts are still generating canon's bogus (and likely illegal) "some ink tanks cannot be recognized" message.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
inkpirate,
Very interesting that you are having trouble with reset cartridges in your ip4300. I have the ip4500 (later model than ip4300) and reset cartridges work fine in it. But one point - I never reset and reuse a cartridge immediately. I have several sets and rotate them - remove an empty and replace with another refilled/reset cartridge. Maybe that has something to do with your problem. I have at least 5 sets of cartridges - three sets from the ip4200 and two ip4500s I got from Craigslist and other empty cartridge sets I got off E-Bay. So I go many refills before the same set gets put back in. Maybe in the future I will have a problem - not sure I have reused the same set yet.

Steve W.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Interesting issue on iP4300.

I have an iP4500 and do not have any issue with resetting. I only have one set of Canon OEM cartridges to refill...

TheWoman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have an iP4300 and have no problem with it recognizing my refilled carts. I use the redsetter and I don't rotate my color cartridges but I do usually rotate the pigment black.

inkpirate

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I think I was able to refill about 5-6 times and then I started getting annoying error messages "ink tank not recognized" etc. Usually I would just need to open the printer lid, and then it would (temporarily) fix the error message. However, I decided to try to get rid of the error message by resetting the ink carts using the blue resetter. It immediately gave me errors on all reset carts and would not let me print. I am currently using an ip4100 and it never gives any errors on the reset carts.

I think I will give the redsetter a try and see if it can resolve the issue with the ip4300 as its photo printing quality is way better than the ip4100.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have read all the issues above with the 4300 and I have had some of the same. What I used to do was to remove all the cartridges and short out the pins on each colour with a screw driver where the chips sit and then replace each cartridge close the lid to see what message came up then repeat the process till all cartridges were installed and it usually worked. I did get piss off doing it regularly as it was such a waste of time, so I opted for a CISS system. Now 10,000 sheets or more later no messing about or unnecessary head cleaning, just print and go.

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have an ip4300 which I purchased in December 2006 and have refilled many times without using a resetter (I used Inkmon to monitor ink levels).
Then in November 2008 I purchased the blue resetter from Michelle. I have used it many times sucessfully and NEVER (so far) gotten the "Ink jet tank not recognized error."

I do have 4 sets of cartridges that I keep filled, so that when one needs refilling I swap it out with one that I refilled earlier.

I'm so sorry to hear that others are having problems resetting, and hope we can figure out why some are having problems and others not.