It reads full on reset, then when it slides home
it reads empty again.

I have been trying to get my hands on the IP4200
as apparently this is the best unit to use to
"reset" the chip.

First, I'd like to ask somebody with a resetter
to try taking a cart that reads empty from an
Ip4300 and resetting it with an Ip4200 and putting
it back into an Ip4300. Does it stay reading full?

I am positive the IP4300 line is writing extra
data to the chips.

This was confirmed again for me tonight when I
refilled.

I've been long suspicious that the IP4300 tries to
detect that a cartridge has been removed for
refilling. I am 100% positive that it does
using the bottom prism.

When a cartridge goes empty, so that the ink
resevoir is empty, it makes a note of it.

It detects when a cartridge is refilled because
the prism reads full after refilling.
It of course knows the chip is refilled because
these chips have an id # associated with them.

If you've refilled the Ip4300 as many times
as I have you get to dread putting the refilled
cartridges back in.

I've been lucky for the past month, but tonight
I got caught by the printer.

You may be asking yourself "what does he mean??"

At some point the Ip4300 does not allow you
to keep using a cartridge over and over and over.

It will come up with "Ink Tank Not Recognized"
replace cartridges which have the lamps off.

If you refill, then ALL your lamps are off.
So it becomes a process of elimination, by
swapping in a good cartridge one by one until
you find the cartridge that is giving you
the Ink Tank Message.

Here's the rub. I recently got my hands on an
Mp500.

So tonight, I first tried to reset the cartridge
to see if it would even just make the cartridge
usable in the Ip4300. Nope, reset it to full,
Ip4300 of course rejects it.

So I give up and put a new cartridge in.

I then take the "ink tank not recognized" cartridge
reset it to full once again.

It's now working perfectly in my Mp500!

So at this point I know Canon has done some
very unhanded things when it comes to their Ip4300
line.

I'd like to know if they are carrying this practice
over to their Ip4500 line.

Would anyone with a Ip4500 please drop me a line.
I'd love to send you a cartridge reset to full
that was previously in a Ip4300 to see if it reads
full or not.

Either way, I'm a tad pissed off with Canon,
and I'm not sure that what their doing is
quite legal.

They've made it seem like a chip malfunction
when in fact they just want you to put a new
cartridge in.

I have also read about the clip in systems which
essentially eliminate the the printer from
seeing that the cartridge has been removed.

I'm wondering if magic marker over the prism
would keep it from going through the empty/full
detection cycle.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Nanosec,

I have a resetter to and I don't experience any problems with my IP5200 and IP6600D printers. There are some rumours about the latest Canon printers which just reject the same reset cartridge the next time, but when is your Canon IP4300 manufactured, since this is a older model compared to my IP5200, which does not have this problem....

The prism is part of the detection system, but the chip counts the amount of nozzle firing and after a limited amount it allways will say "empty" even if you keep the cartridge continously filled (like with CISS), so this will not work and you cannot foul the chip !

That brings you to the clip system you mentioned: the RSK Chip Extender.... Since the chip will show "empty" sooner or later you WILL have to remove the chip to get it reset, but this will be recognized by the printer......

keastman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, now I know why I'm having the problems I have with my 4300. I was doing fine with replacement carts that I put the cannon chips on and suddenly started getting those messages about the tank not being recognized. I could override it for a whlile but eventually it wouldn't work. I ended up buying a new ip 3500 for cheaper than I could buy the cartridges and put them in the 4300 that way I only had to buy the one black cannon cart I needed. So now I have a i3500 new with no ink just so I could get cheaper replacement carts than buying cannons. I have an old ip4000 that needs a new print head that is in storage. In think I'll take a chance and get a new print head for that and see if it still works. It was a lot easier dealing with the replacement carts for that with no chips to deal with. I just hope that the waste ink tank isn't too full on that one. Any comments on ressurrecting the 4000? It's been sitting in a warm garage for a year now. I'd love to hear of any work arounds on the 4300. Thanks,Kevin

KittyMarmalade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
that wiley ip4300

I think we should all join the "1p4300 sucks" club

seems that we're all having issues with it

Logic to me would indicate that if there are problems with the IP4300 in this manner, then surely they would have been even more perfected for the IP4500? Yet I havent seen as many horror stories for that yet ... IP4500'ers ... please come forward!

Kefp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS9020, Pro100
Nanosec,
I have an IP4500. It's only a month old and still has the original OEM carts in it. Let me know if you want me to help out in trying the cart(s). I am in the San Diego area.

Got the 4500 as recommended by fotofreek, a forum member here, after my MP780 had some pizza wheel issue.

KittyMarmalade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
keastman said:
Well, now I know why I'm having the problems I have with my 4300. I was doing fine with replacement carts that I put the cannon chips on and suddenly started getting those messages about the tank not being recognized. I could override it for a whlile but eventually it wouldn't work. I ended up buying a new ip 3500 for cheaper than I could buy the cartridges and put them in the 4300 that way I only had to buy the one black cannon cart I needed. So now I have a i3500 new with no ink just so I could get cheaper replacement carts than buying cannons. I have an old ip4000 that needs a new print head that is in storage. In think I'll take a chance and get a new print head for that and see if it still works. It was a lot easier dealing with the replacement carts for that with no chips to deal with. I just hope that the waste ink tank isn't too full on that one. Any comments on ressurrecting the 4000? It's been sitting in a warm garage for a year now. I'd love to hear of any work arounds on the 4300. Thanks,Kevin
See my thread here. I currently have exactly the same problem

I don't believe it's a problem with the connections or with the carts as they all still flash when they're taken out and reinserted again
[although it could be the carts but given its happened to both sets simulatneously, i dont think so].

I think the chips can detect more than just ink levels.

I think that using a brand new set of carts I can probably make them last for much longer though. [I'm 3/4 through my 2nd lot of individual 100ml bulk refill bottles ie: almost 200ml refilled for each colour]

I wonder, can anything be detected by the chips if the printer is turned off when you remove/check carts? If not, as long as you refill/check levels when it's off, then the less info the chip/printer is detecting etc.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Much of how what the printer is doing is firmware related within the printer. Once Canon knew of how the chip resetters and how they were sliding code through their firmware to reset the chips, you can bet they revised it. The resetter beside the issue of lost revenue for them from the ink side also presents a source of unneeded expense because users can now acquire either improper cartridges or poor quality refilled ones and cause their heads damage and Canon would still have to pay for it.

Thus there was much incentive for them to stop the "hole" quickly.

So when comparing notes, it is essential, that you should list the version of firmware you are running within your model to better grasp what might be happening.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
You can try to turned off the printer, pull the plug and short it with some metal. Now you can try if printer detects it or not.

If you do not short it it will know :) BTW canon will use a bettery sooner or later in their printers AFAIK

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Mikling,

Can you please explain how one can tell what version of firmware we are running?

Thanks!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
With the printer off, hold the resume/cancel and power button down together, until power LED is green.release cancel button, press resume cancel button twice, then release both. When power led is green again, press resume cancel twice. A service test print will come out and this should have the firmware version.